Shotgun Forum banner

Steel lOads

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  drmajor 
#1 ·
I am new to reloading. My skeet loads work very well, however my son would like to reload for duck season. He shoots a Benneli SBE.

Hodgen only shows 2-3/4" shells with 1oz load and I think a BP STS wad with Univ powder.

Where can you get this wad? Is it worth it or does Claybuster have similar?

Suggestions for recipes in 3" shells?
Suggestions for shot?

#2 ·
When you're talking reloading for steel .... If you're not talking about Alliant STEEL then you should just buy factory loads - IMO. The only other powders I'd consider are 800X or SR4756.

The wads you want are SAM-1 and TUWSBL24

SAM-1 wads can be had from www.bucksrunsports.com and the tuwsbl24 from http://www.precisionreloading.com/2004catalog.htm

Bucksrun is also where I normally order my steel from - they usually have a deal where if you buy a bag of steel they knock a few bucks off a bag of wads as well. I'd also pick up the RSI steel shot manual (from Bucks Run) and get your name on the list for the Lightning Steel manual (also from precision reloading - but its out of stock right now)

With steel - you need to weigh EVERYTHING. The powder and the shot. And do not substitute any components.

There was another thread yesterday where I listed a 7/8 load at 1700 fps.

edit: for a bad internet address

#5 ·
The Alliant Data has been off line for awhile now ....

They still have a link to their data in pdf format on the web site ....

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Index.htm

http://glarp.atk.com/2008/2008_Catalogs ... atalog.pdf

I highly recommend reading Lyman's 5th even if its just for general knowledge about steel reloading. The RSI manual is also a good source of knowledge.

One other thing to remember is that the manual's from the different companies tend to promote (not surprisinly) their own wads. So the RSI manual uses mostly SAM1 wads.

#6 ·
As Capn66 relates, speed will make up for some of the deficiencies of steel. Commercial loads run around 1400 fps, other reloading web sites discuss loads up to 1800 fps (duckhuntingchat.com). Reading many of these discussions, most SBE reloaders are crafting loads about 1400 - 1500 fps, speeds greater than this tend to not pattern well (blown patterns), apparently the SBE bore is smaller diameter than other 12 ga. 2 3/4 inch 1 1/8 ounce loads are very effective on large mallards to 40 yards. Create several loads and pattern, pattern, pattern.
Good luck and happy hunting!

#7 ·
I load a lot of steel here in Washington because our skeet fields can not use lead anymore and all Wildlife Management Areas this side of the Cascades require nontox.

Another good source for steel recipes is BPI. I have used their products for years.

www.ballisticproducts.com

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com, Reloading Specialties Inc (through places like Bucks Run) and Midway USA are also decent sources but you need to shop around some.

I use a lot of the Alliant Steel powder but also Winchester Super Field and Longshot. I load exactly as the recipe says and do not recommend taking short cuts or substituting.

I do not look at reloading steel as a money saving endeavor but one that I enjoy just because. I try to load shells that are better or similar to what is commercially available.

For 3" 12 ga I like a green 3" Rem Nitro Steel case, Fed 209A primer, TUFW123, 1.25 oz #3 steel pellets, 32 gr Steel powder, FPS of this load averages 1,392.

For 2.75" 12 ga I like a Fed Gold Medal hull, Fed 209A primer, TUPRW12 wad, 32 gr Steel powder, 1 1/8 oz #3 steel. FPS = @1,425.

#8 ·
Here is a nice little steel load I have used regularly with good results.

-Winchester AA 2 3/4" hull
-W209 Primer
-32 Grains of Alliant Steel powder
-CSD100 12GA STEEL WAD from Ballistic Products
-Mica wad slick
-1 oz of steel shot
-#47 mix buffer - Ballistic Products

Rated at 1530 fps.

#11 ·
drmajor said:
Thank you for the input.

Now I just need to find a used SteelMaster as I don't want to change my MEC Grabber over from 2-3/4 lead loads.
When you load steal shot you must weight all your shot and powder charges. Steal hunting loading is a differant animal then lead loading or target loads. You better use factory loads and do alot of studying before you get into steal hunting loads. I researched for 4 months before I loaded my first shell. This is advanced loading not to be taken lightly. It's doable and fun but not to be taken lighty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.