Shotgun Forum banner

mossberg 500 38 inch barrel

24K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  joshq8161 
#1 ·
Have any of you ever seen a mossberg 500 12 ga with a factory 38 inch full choke barrel..

#3 ·
The longest factory Mossberg barrel I know of is (was) the 30" VR full choke, single front brass bead sight version, which I believe is discontinued. Good shooters tend to list for around $75 on gunbroker.com.

You can find this barrel on some of the house-brand guns made in the 1970's such as the Western Field 550ABD or New Haven 600AT.

-L

#9 ·
In my 1987 shooters bible it has the mossberg 500 12 ga with the 38 inch barrel for $244.95.my barrel has chambered for 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells 12 ga full choke made in usa. some of the marlin model 778 12 ga pumps had a 38 inch full choke barrel,and the marlin model 120, 12 ga pump ,some came with a 40 inch MXR full choke barrel,i have one of these allso.

#11 ·
I just picked one up a 500a Regal with the factory 38" barrel full chock. I couldnt believe it. Thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but its stamped on the barrel, 38in 2-3/4 in - 3in 38in factory full chock. ITS ONE LONG GUN! Doing some research I found it was produced ONLY on the 500a Regal. Get with me if you want to see pix. I may be interested in selling or trading it. Havent shot it yet but Im heading out tomorrow 2/5/13 and see how it feels. May be interested in selling or trading just the barrel but would hate to seperate it, but if someone wants it bad enough I will. I dont do trukey shoots but it would probably be perfect for that!

#13 ·
My 1974 Mossberg 500AT was equipped with a 30" plain barrel and full choke when I got it - you could really reach out and touch those squirrels in the tall timber. Also brought home many a frozen turkey from turkey shoots as it would deliver a devastatingly tight pattern of #6's to those paper plate targets! Had to pick up a 28" VR barrel with accu-chokes so's I could use steel shot for waterfowl hunting when the Feds banned lead shot. Thinking about taking the old 30" smokepole to a gunsmith reduce it to 18.5 inches for hd duty.

#14 ·
For awhile in the 70's there was a bit of a long barrel "goose gun" craze. Mossberg had the 38" 500. Marlin had the 55g 36" full bolt action and a 40" barreled pump. The incorrect theory was longer barrel = farther shooting. My dad watched as some sucker bought one of the 40 inch Marlins after he and the gun salesman told the guy it was a waste of money.

#15 ·
Hastings made extra long barrels for a number of guns some years back.
I have them for both the 500 and the BPS. 36 inch, straight rifled barrels, supposed to keep the shot charge from rotating, going down the bore.

#17 ·
Strange as it may sound I have such a barrel. My late dad bought it for Turkey hunting. I had the misfortune of accompanying him on a squirrel hunt when he used this barrel. At the end of the day he tossed a bunch of legs and heads to me and told me to skin the parts. The center of the squirrels were gone.

#21 ·
JoeCool said:
Interesting, the tale of the 38 inch Mossberg lives on, now in 2021. It must have been real, because you got one. Where did you get it? What choke is it? I would speculate it is worth some money, you ever get any offers?
I get offers everytime someone sees it. It has a full choke I believe. My dad purchased it from a catalog, if my memory serves me right. It took many turkey's heads clean off. I keep it clean and oiled. It is one of the last things I have of my dad's and I don't plan on getting rid of it. A lot of people say "You should saw it down." but I already have 18.5 inch barreled shotguns.