Shotgun Forum banner

18.5" barrel for a Mossberg 500c 20 ga.?

62K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  TruthEndures 
#1 ·
A little while ago I purchased my first shotgun, a Mossberg 500c 20 ga. Recently I decided I wanted to invest in an 18.5" barrel to use when the weapon is in the house, but I have not been able to find one anywhere, not even on Mossberg's website. They seem pretty easy to find for the 500a (12 ga.) but that's it. I've written Mossberg but haven't gotten an answer yet. Does anyone know if the barrel I'm looking for even exists?? Is there a reason why an 18.5" barrel wouldn't be made for a 20 ga.?

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure that Mossberg makes or at least made an 18.5" barrel for the 20 gauge. I can't seem to remember where I had seen them for sale right now.

If you can't find one then cutting down a longer barrel is a viable option. Just be very careful not to go shorter than 18".

#8 ·
jlvblueraider said:
Hey Irish,

Did you ever get this barrel for your 500c? I just inherited the same model with a 28" barrel. Could you give me any more information on the 90035 barrel? Thanks in advance.
I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet because I'm in the process of moving. What kind of information are you looking for?

#11 ·
Thanks sjohnny. I am quite a noob when it comes to firearms. This shotgun and a 30-30 rifle belonged to my dad. He passed away about 20 years ago, and my mom gave the guns to his cousin. I just recently got them back in my possession, and I wanted to swap the 28" barrel for a shorter one to use for HD. I just happened to stumble across this thread during my search, and there has been a lot of good information on here for someone like me. Overall this is a great site.

#12 ·
Happy to help. You've got two good guns there for starts. All but one of the deer I've ever killed have been with a .30-30. All but three of those with my grandfather's Winchester made in 1921 (I'd love to have that one but my uncle will give up a leg first). The last three have been with my own Winchester .30-30.

#13 ·
I recommend buying an older used barrel and shortening it yourself. I have done it several times. No big deal. Just think of it as any other piece of thin walled steel pipe. Finish it off with a wide, fine file, and the inside with a rattail file. The bad guy will never know who shortened it. If you have the money, it is a very easy job for a gunsmith. Used barrels are cheap.

#15 ·
~FYI~

I emailed Mossberg last week, and they referred me to the mossberg museum site for info on finding out where to find one of these barrels.

On a whim I called their number listed here to place and order, and as of this date they let me place and order for one.

Mine is actually for my Westrn Auto Revelation 310C dad left me.

~I suggest phone contact...............not email~

#17 ·
Received today' (Technically this one is a Westrn Auto Revelation model 310C)

Ordered from Mossy a month ago, and return address is from Maverick Arms Inc., Eagle Pass, Texas.

Price: $72.00, S/H $8.95.

~~~~~NOW if I can only find a Speed Feed Handle/Shoulder combo Stock for a 20 gauge~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#18 ·
I just ordered an 18.5 inch barrel form Mossberg for my 500c. I called the number posted here 1-800-363-3555 and I found there are two numbers for that barrel. The 90035 is for a barrel packaged in a bubble package and it's $72. This number 10031 is for the same barrel in a cardboard package and it's only $66 plus the same $8.95 for shipping. It's a cylinder barrel. They do not have a 18.5 slug barrel for the 500c. Their shortest 500c slug barrel is 24 inches. :shock:

#19 ·
Yeah, they weren't too bright when I ordered either. I had to call back a month later to find the order, and then I was shipped my barrel. Dummies. The barrel I received is a 18.5 barrel from Maverick firearms, and placed with Mossy. If they say they don't have them then somebody is incorrect there. I'll even scan the receipt nd post it if I can find a scanner.

#21 ·
~Food for Thought~

When dealing with Mossberg/Maverick arms customer service, please keep the following email in mind. If for nothing else their lousy response time, and very poor customer service.

Sent to Mossberg January 03, 2010:

Hello, my name is _______, and approximately two weeks ago I ordered a 18.5" barrel for my 500C.
I am just emailing you to find out the status of my order please. I am seriously hoping that if it was sent UPS it simply hasn't arrived yet-because another package from another company went missing. Please email me back and let me know

Received February 26, 2010:

Sir we do apologize for the wait. This order #60242** was shipped out onJan. 20 2010 and received by Jan. 27 2010 . If any problems please contact us directly, Thank you

Why thank you SHernandez@maverick for the worst customer service response I have seen in years. :lol: :lol:

#23 ·
Look on Gunbroker.com. Click on "Shotgun Accessories". Then click on "Barrels" and enter "Mossberg" into the Search field. Click on "Search". In a few moments you will see all the Mossberg barrels folks have put up for sale. In most states a barrel without a action attached is just like a piece of pipe, you can buy direct from the seller, no FFL dealer need be involved, they can ship to you directly. There are a lot of used (but still good) Mossberg barrels out there.

From reading other posts on here, when the ATF (or other LE) measure a barrel they close the bolt. Hold the gun upright and put a narrow ruler down the barrel. If the ruler shows the length of the barrel is 18" or more you are home-free. If not, well...

#25 ·
Congrats, you have your barrel. That.s one of the bennies of sticking to the big boys Rem 870 or Moss/maverick 500.

For other situations, including cutting down a damaged barrell, the Xavier site mentioned above is one of the better ones. I`ve cut down several shotguns and found that the pipe cutter is the best. For a vent rib, You have to use a hacksaw with the finest-toothed blade for metal cutting. Make a jig to help keep it straight . Cut the rib to include one whole support--this means that your barrel will not be the exact lenght you want but the length that accomodates the vent rib. Then cut the barrel 1/4 inch longer, both for appearance and to give a little more protection for the vent rib. Go along with the 18.5 inch rule to keep it legal and allow for finishing. if your gun ends up a little longer to accomodate a vent rib, that`s no big problem, it will still handle well.

The resulting choke should be just fine for HD purposes. To check the results, make a target out of an old cardboard box and a sheet of newspaper or butcher paper. shoot it at 10 feet and then do another at 20 feet. If you did a neat job on the cut and filing, it should be OK. If the pattern isn`t all you would like, try switching brands of ammo before you dink with the end of the barrel.

Don`t be surprized if your pattern is smaller than you expected at these short distances. It`s in the nature of the ammo, not your gunsmithing.
Brownells sells the goodies to drill, tap and install a new front bead using a electric drill. There are also aftermarket fiberoptic front sights that don`t require drilling

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.