Shotgun Forum banner

THE ORIGINAL MARLIN GOOSE GUN

21K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  2fewdaysafield 
#1 ·
i found one of these in a local pawn shop for a 100 bucks in decent shape. i guess im crazy cause this 36" full choke barreled bolt action shotgun is awesome to me. my grandfather had one when i was a kid and ive always remembered how long that gun was and ive got to have one. i know its not practical and single shot slow between shots but it oughta be a good conversation piece and a decent squirrel gun lol. anyone with experience, info or just an opinion feel free to comment. at least it aint a turkish gun!

#3 ·
It would have been a 12 *****, the 10 gauge went of production sometime in the 1970's. I bought mine at work(CTC Dieppe) for $75 new with a 2 year warranty when Chretien sucked up to Montreal and brought in bill C-68 in 1997. Atlantic Firearms brought the barrel down to 25.75" and it made a nice partridge gun, patterns litttle better than Imp. Cylinder.

#7 ·
I use to have one of those Super goose gun, 10 gauge 36" full choke barrel bolt action with a removable magazine. I sold it after one season, I could not hit the side of barn with mine, it did not fit me.

A hundred bucks i s about right for it, I think I paid $120 for mine new in 1975

#9 ·
I shoot sporting clays with mine.

Well, OK, I did shoot sporting clays with it one time. I hit the first bird of each pair fairly regularly, but I didn't do so well on the second bird! :roll:

#10 ·
Nice post that brought back a lot of memories.

As a kid I vividly remember looking at those (which of course we couldn't afford) in the mail order catalogs such as either Montgomery Ward, Penney's, or Sears.

In those days, the mail would just deliver a gun to your house, again provided you could afford it.

#15 ·
Years ago four of us went duck hunting and had a stand-up blind along a small river. We were to meet at the blind. Three of us were there early and #4 then came crashing through the woods banging this very long bbl against every tree he could find. He was very proud of his Marlin Goose Gun, but we made him stand on the other side of the river anyway.

#24 ·
You would have to e-mail Marlin to be sure they could handle steel. They weren't specifically advertised as such and the last ones were made in 1998? or around that point, steel shot wasn't mandatory everywhere for waterfowl at that point. My 1996 Marlin 55GDL doesn't appear to have a chrome lined barrel on it.

#25 ·
I'll email marlin, I was just curious. When I was a kid my dad had a friend that owned a 12ga model and I remember him dropping a crow dead at 90 paces. I would consider getting a 10ga model for geese if I could shoot steel. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.