Shotgun Forum banner

Question about the Mossberg 500 Road Blocker

7K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  brocdaddy 
#1 ·
I am new to firearms and am just about ready to purchase the 500 RoadBlocker. I was wondering about that arrow shaped muzzle break?

Is it necessary to have one? What would happen if it didn't have one?

Thanks.

#5 ·
That style muzzle brake was originally designed to reduce recoil on high-velocity weapons, like this: http://www.barrett.net/firearms/model95

Shotguns operate at much lower pressures and velocities, so muzzle brakes in general aren't as effective.

The general opinion is that the brake on the Roadblocker is a marketing gimmick, designed to appeal to folks who want to look cool -- or "tacticool". It adds a lot of weight and bulk at the muzzle and makes the gun much louder to shoot, all out of proportion to any benefit it might provide.

Plus, pistol-grip-only shotguns are much harder to use effectively than guns with a conventional stock. They are special-purpose weapons for when you need compactness above all -- and in that case, why hang a huge hunk of metal on the muzzle?

There's a good reason that the 590A1 -- the military model -- doesn't have the brake.

If it appeals to you, go for it and enjoy it. But a more conventional model would be much more practical.

#49 ·
That style muzzle brake was originally designed to reduce recoil on high-velocity weapons, like this: http://www.barrett.net/firearms/model95

Shotguns operate at much lower pressures and velocities, so muzzle brakes in general aren't as effective.

The general opinion is that the brake on the Roadblocker is a marketing gimmick, designed to appeal to folks who want to look cool -- or "tacticool". It adds a lot of weight and bulk at the muzzle and makes the gun much louder to shoot, all out of proportion to any benefit it might provide.

Plus, pistol-grip-only shotguns are much harder to use effectively than guns with a conventional stock. They are special-purpose weapons for when you need compactness above all -- and in that case, why hang a huge hunk of metal on the muzzle?

There's a good reason that the 590A1 -- the military model -- doesn't have the brake.

If it appeals to you, go for it and enjoy it. But a more conventional model would be much more practical.
Actually when firing slugs muzzle breaks are very much an effective tool. It is incorrect that speed of projectile has anything to do with effectivity of a muzzle device. It has to do with the amount of gas redirected and I will tell you the muzzle break very much works well with slugs on that firearm. I have one I put a stock on and that shotgun fires like a dream high brass slugs all day and it kicks about what my XCR-L in 5.56 kicks my tiny little 5’ zips all wife has fired that Roadblocker one handed even.

#6 ·
This is part of the MPD that Mossberg suffers from.
On the one hand, they will come out with a perfectly serviceable, appropriate, and functional shotguns. Most of the 590 line fits in this category. The 930 SPX came very close to this.
On the other hand, they come out with something utterly useless to the point that it is laughable. The Road Blocker, Rolling Thunder, Tactical Turkey, etc are examples of this.
It is an attempt to appeal via marketing and labelling as opposed to relying on the shotguns inate functionality for a defensive role.
If you like it, more power to you.
If you are new to firearms as you say, don't be surprised if you show up somewhere with that monstrosity and get laughed at. However if most of the people you end up shooting with obtain their firearms knowledge from Halo or Modern Warfare, you may fit right in.

#7 ·
I understand, thanks.

(I'm still trying to understand why I'd get "laughed at" for having one without that MB??)

Since that MB serves no other purpose than aesthetics, which Mossberg would you recommend that is similar, but without that MB, personally I think it looks a bit too 'RoboCop-ish'.

I like the pistol grip shotguns, so would you mind giving me some other 12 gauges to consider?

Thank you.

* Before I get flamed on for saying I like the pistol grip, I want one because I believe that it is more maneuverable and quicker to get off a shot in a panic situation.

EDIT:
The 2 posts above mine came through while I was typing this. Thanks for the explanation, NHrural, m24shooter.

#8 ·
Sky Masterson said:
I understand, thanks.

(I'm still trying to understand why I'd get "laughed at" for having one without that MB??)
Like I said, it depends on who sees it. Barring someone who works from a vehicle and needs a PG stock for that reason, PG stock shotguns are generally seen as Tactical Teds when they show up at our range.

Since that MB serves no other purpose than aesthetics, which Mossberg would you recommend that is similar, but without that MB, personally I think it looks a bit too 'RoboCop-ish'.
Any conventional stocked Mossberg (590 or 500 series) or 870. Pistol grip type stocks (but not PG only) on 870s are a little easier to deal with.
I like the pistol grip shotguns, so would you mind giving me some other 12 gauges to consider? Before I get flamed on for saying I like the pistol grip, I want one because I believe that it is more maneuverable and quicker to get off a shot in a panic situation.
First, you might want to actually use a shotgun before you decide what you like.
Second, while it might be more manueverable to your perception, you lose control.
Third, it is not quicker.
Fourth, even if it is a "panic situation" you still need to aim it. From what you've said already I don't think you're ready to hipshoot.

#9 ·
If your interest is strictly home defense, the basic Mossberg Persuader would be fine. It comes with a conventional stock and a pistol grip so you can swap whenever you want.
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg ... /50411.jpg
http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... play=specs

If you're interested in shotgun sports or hunting, something like the field/security combo would be a good choice. It also comes with a pistol grip.
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg ... /54169.jpg

The safety location on the Mossbergs -- on top of the tang -- can be awkward to reach with a pistol-grip stock. It works well with a conventional stock. Most other pump shotguns, such as the Remington 870, have the safety on the trigger guard which works better with a pistol grip.

#11 ·
m24shooter said:
Welcome to the forum, and don't take these response as n00b busting or piling on.
They are genuinely meant to inform, although sometimes we may not communicate that clearly and it can be taken the wrong way by some.
I understand, you guys probably get a lot of people asking these same questions and I guess it can become annoying. I'm trying to get as much pro advice as I can before making my purchase.

Thanks agin for offering alternative / better choices.

#12 ·
Most of the uninitiated believe that a PGO shotgun is realistically more manueverable, but it is not so.

Unless you are fighting inside a closet, there is no significant difference in manueverability. Sure, there are a few imaginable scenarios in which the shorter, lighter weapon would be better. But there are a hundred times as many in which the ability to aim the weapon accurately and place quick followup shots is much more important. If you really find yourself in a tight spot (like turning a corner from your hallway to a bedroom), you can simply tuck the stock under your arm or down to your waist while you move through the tight spot, and then put it back on your shoulder so you can actually aim.

The primary justification for a PGO shotgun is when you aren't intending to use it as a primary weapon and are instead only using it as a tool to break through doors or use as an absolute emergency defensive tool.

Other than that, if you really believe you will find yourself in situations like fighting from inside a car or whatever, at least get a folding stock so you can fold it out for every other use. Another option is to get a single-point sling to put around your body while wielding the weapon, so you can hold it closer to eye level to aim while putting forward tension on the shotgun with both hands to keep it from hitting you in the face.

Sorry for the confusion about the break. They were saying having the break might get you laughed at, and not having the break would be fine (except that it's a PGO shotgun :wink: ).

I like to think we are pretty friendly to newbies (we've all been newbies before, and some of us probably still are and don't realize it :oops: ). So, just ask what you need to know, and we'll do our best to get you the answers you want (or point you to search results).

#13 ·
Very informative post, thanks JMcDonald.

I'm trying to get some informed suggestions on which shotgun would be the best choice, and yes, it is strictly for home defense, it wouldn't be used for hunting, etc.

I was thinking of a worst-case-scenario - waking up at 3 a.m. with some whacked out, cracked out ex-con trying to kick my door down :roll: :wink:
I suppose that situation isn't all that likely or common.

The *Persuader [edited] appears to be a good choice, I especially like the 8 shot capability. Anything else out there that you recommend?
Thanks.

JMcDonald said:
Most of the uninitiated believe that a PGO shotgun is realistically more manueverable, but it is not so.

Unless you are fighting inside a closet, there is no significant difference in manueverability. Sure, there are a few imaginable scenarios in which the shorter, lighter weapon would be better. But there are a hundred times as many in which the ability to aim the weapon accurately and place quick followup shots is much more important. If you really find yourself in a tight spot (like turning a corner from your hallway to a bedroom), you can simply tuck the stock under your arm or down to your waist while you move through the tight spot, and then put it back on your shoulder so you can actually aim.

The primary justification for a PGO shotgun is when you aren't intending to use it as a primary weapon and are instead only using it as a tool to break through doors or use as an absolute emergency defensive tool.

Other than that, if you really believe you will find yourself in situations like fighting from inside a car or whatever, at least get a folding stock so you can fold it out for every other use. Another option is to get a single-point sling to put around your body while wielding the weapon, so you can hold it closer to eye level to aim while putting forward tension on the shotgun with both hands to keep it from hitting you in the face.

Sorry for the confusion about the break. They were saying having the break might get you laughed at, and not having the break would be fine (except that it's a PGO shotgun :wink: ).

I like to think we are pretty friendly to newbies (we've all been newbies before, and some of us probably still are and don't realize it :oops: ). So, just ask what you need to know, and we'll do our best to get you the answers you want (or point you to search results).

#14 ·
If you're just learning to shoot, try to get some good instruction or training. It's easier if you develop good habits from the start.

Start with very light loads. There's no point in beating yourself up while you're learning. Reduced-recoil buckshot is the most common defense & tactical load.

The 8-shot 590A1 gets heavy with a full tube, especially if you add a light. Try both versions before you decide.

The closest competitor would probably be this version of the 870:
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... round.aspx

Here's another site that you might enjoy:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

It was put together by one of the regulars here -- it's like a laid-back "Mythbusters" for firearms questions.

#15 ·
The A1 is a good shotgun. It is however, heavier than the 590.
The heavier barrel is good for running through a steel environment where you may be smacking it against hatch combings or the bulkhead. Otherwise, the standard barrel is more than likely far more durable than you will need.
The metal safety button is a nice feature, as Mossberg is notorious for broken safety buttons or worn safeties that slip to the on position during firing with a lot of use. The metal version avoids those problems.
The metal trigger guard is another item that is more durable than the plastic version, but the question do you need that extra durability.
You would probably be well served witha standard 590. If you wanted to, you could add a metal safety button and trigger guard yourself, and then have the best features of the 590A1 with the lightness of the 590.
You may also want to look at the Hogue youth stock for it, as the standard LOP is rather long.
And I'm providing this advice as a 590A1 owner.

#18 ·
If your budget stretches that far, by all means look at the M4. The Benelli M1/M2 is probably the most popular gun for tactical/practical shotgun competitions and 3-gun competitions.

Semi-autos generally give you faster controlled follow-up shots. Gas-operated semis in particular reduce felt recoil. The tradeoff is that they require more cleaning than a pump, and some may not function reliably with light loads.

Some folks would say that you'd be better off spending the price difference on training and practice.

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2005 ... tguns.html

#19 ·
I've heard nothing but good about it. But, like you said, it costs 4x as much as the other most popular (and still very good) options :) .

If you want a semi-auto (which are great for simple HD, IMO), both the Mossberg 930s and the Remington 11-87s / 1100s are good options, and can be had for about $500ish for base models. I also agree with NHrural that the money you might spend on a gun, ESPECIALLY as a new shooter, would likely be much better spent on a lower-end gun and lots of practice and / or professional instruction. Buying a $1700 Benelli will give you a great gun, but as a new shooter you likely could not even begin to reach the weapon's potential until quite a bit of practice. That is where buying a <$500 weapon will benefit you. Practically speaking, most shooters would probably never really see the differences between the Mossy / Remmy autoloaders and the Benellis, but they would definitely see the personal benefit of being able to buy a several thousand rounds of practice ammo, a few training sessions and classes, and perhaps a nice stock of defensive ammo to keep around.

You can practically go as cheap as you want in a shotgun and still get a working piece. You could get a Maverick88 for less than $200 ($156 at my local Walmart) and have a pefectly good weapon. Of course, every little upgrade has some value, which is why I did end up going all the way up to the 590A1 (my first gun was actually a Mav88). The Mossberg forend can be upgradeable unlike the Mavericks (at least, readily so). The 590 series barrel and mag tubes are a better design IMO. I only read one instance of someone having a barrel bend and it was literally someone using an old shotgun barrel as a bang-around stick, but the heavier barrel was another benefit (also helps a bit with recoil). The aluminum safety, as mentioned does have some merit as it isn't unheard of to break the plastic safety switched. The only instance I've ever heard of the plastic trigger guard breaking was someone buggered the little mounting tabs from trying to force it into the receiver. But, all these things together gave me a little bit more confidence in having the most servicable weapon that is the most likely to outlast me.

My M590A1 is the 8+1 (20" barrel) model, with a flashlight, and yes it is a little heavy. But, I am tall and lanky (6', 145lbs, woot woot) and still don't have a real problem with it. Hell, I just ordered an 8-shot side saddle, and have already mounted a 3-shell carrier to the other side of the receiver.

BTW, GREAT choice on going with the professional instruction.

#20 ·
As a former semi-pro guitarist I can equate it to a beginning guitarist who wants a $3,000 Gibson Les Paul as his first guitar ... reality is that he would not hear or feel the difference between a $600 Epiphone and the $3,000 LP.

Considering that I need a shotgun strictly for home defense, and not any competition shooting, and given that I will not be going to Falluja any time soon :wink: As bad@*** as it is, it may be a "somewhat" of an overkill and not be the best choice for my needs.

The 590A1 is appears to be an excellent shotgun, I'm really liking that Remington 870 7 shot as well but the 590A1 with that extra shot might win out. I'm 5' 11' 155lbs so I think I should be able to handle it.

I'll try these two out on Saturday or Sunday, to see which feels the best to me. I'll keep you guys informed on which I ultimately go with.

Thanks everyone, you've been a big help!

#21 ·
Heh, my stepdad and I use the same comparison with guitars, and agreed that it applies to just about everyone else!

I like my 590A1 because, as I've stated, I'm pretty sure I could base-ball bat the receiver (either the ghost-ring sight or the trigger guard) into a zombie skull and not damage anything :p .

But, don't get too caught up in your first shotgun. A $200-dollar Maverick88 7+1 model would suit you just fine, and still be perfectly adequate for HD. Just figure out what all you really want to be able to do with the weapon (up to and including shooting your way through mobs of zombies... and I'm only half joking ;-) ), and we'll be glad to get you set up with something good!

#23 ·
NHrural said:
If you prefer the 870, you could go with the police version instead of the Express-- some of the internals are heavier-duty, and they're assembled with more care.

The 14" versions are restricted, but the 18" ones are not.

http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/shotguns.htm
Thanks NHrural, the link doesn't seem to be working, but I found one here -
http://www.impactguns.com/store/rem_870_police_shotguns.html

That is a very nice [mean] looking SG!

If I don't feel comfortable shooting with the pistol grip, is it possible to go with a stock only. I do like the looks of the pistol grip and actually prefer the looks of a pistol grip and stock over the stock only, but if for some reason it doesn't work for me, can I change it?

#24 ·
If you're looking at a defensive gun, you need to divorce yourself from what looks good as opposed to what works well.
If you're wanting a fun gun, there's nothing wrong with looks.
If you want a pistol gripped stock there are a variety of stocks available for the Remington out there.
There are a ton of conventional stocks that you can put on as well. It is not a difficult job to change a stock out to whatever you want to use.
The Hogue youth models are a good option for conventional stocks and may fit you better.

#26 ·
keep in mind, the super expensive benellis are not the only semi auto out there. You might consider the Mossberg 930, Remington 1100, Stoeger M2000, FN SLP (almost as expensive as the benelli), ect. Of course, as with any gun, you need to insure that it will run relighably before you trust your life to it. The advantage with a semi auto is that once you know it works, you can be pretty sure that it will continue to work when stuff goes wrong. With a pump gun, there is a human element, and even if you have 1000 shells through the gun, when the pressure is on, you might cause a malfunction.
Also, when that ex con with a stolen gun kicks in your door at 3:00, and you are scared, having a real shoulder stock on the gun, whether it's a conventional stock or a pistol grip shoulder stock, will make the gun much easier to aim and fire under pressure than if the gun is set up with a PGO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.