Shotgun Forum banner

Target vs field loads

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Clayslayer 
#1 ·
What is the difference between a target load and a light field load? After studying the Lyman manual, I see no great difference. The components are usually about the same and so are the velocities, so, what else is there?

#3 ·
For a 12 gauge, Target Loads are generally no heavier than 1 1/8 ounce and generally contain no more than 3 1/2 Dram Equivalent of powder. If it's heavier than that, then it's a Field Load. There may be an exception or two to my statements here, but in general, this is true.

#4 ·
In the context as Lyman relates it, there is no difference, they are under the same heading. If I were to pick out one thing as how they could be different, it would be what shot size might be used between them. They just put a label on the loads, it doesn't really matter.

TT

#5 ·
Target loads usually have a lighter payload and travel in the vicinity of 1200fps or so.

Field loads can go from 1oz and up and range in velocity from 1150 to over 1500fps.

Most of the time 1 and 1 1/8oz loads are "target" or "universal" loads while 1 1/4oz and heavier loads are "field" loads.

Usually anyway.

Like it was mentioned above it's more or less a marketing ploy

#7 ·
Funny that target grade would get better grade shot, as if breaking a clay target is more important than cleanly killing a bird. I understand why target grade gets better shot, it just seems like sometimes we have our priorities mixed up. Anyways, on to the post, the one important difference is that for a lot of target shooting 1 1/8 oz. is the maximum legal limit. Otherwise it is just lead in front of powder, either will break clays and either will kill birds. Everything is a compromise though.

#8 ·
Generaly speaking--target loads have harder shot because it will pattern better than soft(deformed) shot. This is important in target loads because that next shot you take may just earn you a bundle of money or a nice trophy.

G
#10 ·
Mostly good comments. I agree with Driller especially.

Keep in mind that target loads show-case a company's ability to manufacture world-class target loads and shotshells in general. Even the Remington STS/Nitro hulls, Federal Gold Medal and Winchester AA hulls are the best made by those companies. You can be certain none of those manufacturers will not skimp on the quality of shot they use!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.