Shotgun Forum banner

Release trigger sticker.

6K views 68 replies 20 participants last post by  maltzahn 
#1 ·
My release trigger sticker wore off after many years of use. Do I need to have one on for shooting registered ATA events? And where can I get a new one?

#52 ·
I have followed this thread from the beginning and offer this,

1. a release trigger is jsut another trigger, Nothing good nor bad about it. Only the individual manipulating the trigger.
2. an accident is a very rare thing. Lots of wrecks of varying sorts come about due only to the negligence of the operators. triggers included.
3. I am quite certain of my firearms. I do not understand how we can spend so much money on a gun, and pluck up anothers off the rack by 'mistake'. I know where I place my gun, and in all the events i have shot, I will check to make certain it is my gun prior to advancing to the line. I would expect all to do just that.

While not all here will ever agree on one type of trigger or another, any trigger is dangerous in the hands of incompetence. Not all Nd's are attributable to incompetence, as some have explained, but also stated in the stories, it wasn't the triggers fault.

#55 ·
There seems to be a lot of frustration over this issue... I don't know much, but I can give you my opinion...

The majority, in fact the vast majority of the sport shoot the pull trigger. The release trigger is used by the minority, however it is frequent enough to come upon a release trigger while on the field.

If where you maintain a minority piece of equipment in a public place, such as shooting events, where there is a possibility, however unforeseeable, that a mistake of operation of the equipment could happen, then I think it should be labeled appropriately.

I have been shown personally a release trigger, and know its function now, but when I first started I hadn't a clue. And people of inexperience, are those whom this would help the most. Not a veteran shooter, as most of you seem to be on this forum.

There is a valid argument that no one should be touching someone else's gun, but it happens. I was instructed on a couple pistols the other day, one has a target trigger that was lighter than anything I had ever shot, while the carry pistol was strong and purposeful.

Were they marked? No, I was told before, and I feel this is a similar situation, but the mechanical action involved in the two deliveries, is the same, unlike in the case at hand.

No clear answer, but release triggers are not "unsafe" or need to be banned, but they could use a simple sticker to inform anyone around of there firing mechanism... If not to prevent someone from grabbing the wrong gun!

#57 ·
I do add a release sticker to my stocks. A custom design, so to quicky recongnize my gun setting in a rack with outers. While never worrying about another shooter picking my gun up by mistake, although that has happened. Its common courtesy to ask permission to look at anothers gun setting in a rack. At minimum, the best way to not be at odds with someone else.

As far as the merits of release triggers, its the best thing that has happened to the shooting sports, because it extends shooting careers for life long shooters with tens of thousands of rounds down the barrel. It is easier to release in the first place, better timing for the second, and without the sticker few would even know shooting beside one.

Come to the conclusion that those that are negitive about release triggers generally don't understand them, skeet shooters against them are irrelevant. There so few skeet shooters in the grand scale of clay target sports, they seem obscure and tend to fit in only on the skeet field. When playing the game on rare occasion, I just fail to advise them that my gun has double release triggers in and no sticker. Most would never notice and no one picks up another shooters skeet gun without permission either.

This is a tired old arguement that has been decided on years ago.

Maltz

#60 ·
ScratchRob13 said:
maltzahn said:
Most would never notice and no one picks up another shooters skeet gun without permission either.

This is a tired old arguement that has been decided on years ago.

Maltz
I think you mean no one picks up another's gun on purpose, without permission.
Yes ....either way, your messin' around with fire. Just bumping anothers gun in the rack, will get heated. Especially if it has $3000.00 dollar custom wood on it. Makes one wonder, who gets DQ'ed for the pending arguement.

Maltz

#61 ·
Don't get me wrong I see clearly both sides of the argument...

And while this stuff should not happen, especially with the care and due diligence that should be applied to handling firearms... the truth of the matter is that is does happen.

And in response to your above question... my opinion both parties should be, because there should be some level of civility to be displayed in public, and it would make both parties represent the sport in a better light, and make parties more aware of their actions, while also biding their tempers.

My opinion, nothing more.

#64 ·
ScratchRob13 said:
Don't get me wrong I see clearly both sides of the argument...

And while this stuff should not happen, especially with the care and due diligence that should be applied to handling firearms... the truth of the matter is that is does happen.

And in response to your above question... my opinion both parties should be, because there should be some level of civility to be displayed in public, and it would make both parties represent the sport in a better light, and make parties more aware of their actions, while also biding their tempers.

My opinion, nothing more.
Your right....it does happen. Many would offer to pay for the stock to be refinished. Those would be the old guys that have had it happen before. Newbies, maybe not so much. Picking up the wrong gun also happens, most often without any real ramification, but this discussion is about release triggers and what might happen to a shooter firing one unaware. I've watched that happen too, sending a load down range safely, just not on target. "What if" discussions never go anywhere and never have much merit until a real accident happens. I call those that try to imply there is some unknown danger... anal-retentive and guess that they work for the government. At least for some cultural diversity sensitive school district with a no tolerance policy. :lol:

Maltz

#65 ·
drsfmd said:
I'll put it this way guys.... I've never seen a trap house shot by someone using a pull trigger. I've seen lots of trap houses shot by people using release triggers.

I'm not saying that there isn't a place for release triggers, I just think that ATA should treat release triggers the same way that NSSA does...

NSSA Rules said:
III-G-11. A shooter will not be permitted to use a gun with a
release-type trigger unless the referee and the other
members of the squad are notified. Extra caution must
be exercised if the gun is given to a referee who is unfamiliar
with its operation. Guns with release type triggers
must be clearly marked with designated safety stickers.
Release trigger stickers, with instructions on placement,
are available from NSSA Headquarters. Please call or
write to Membership Services.
I actually have , in fact more than a few times.
that being said, I tried a release trigger on an SKB trap gun that I had bought - for about 3 shots!!!
it took ut a few minutes to get the stock off and get rid of the offending lever and spring!
:lol:
Davide

#66 ·
I tried a release trigger on an SKB trap gun that I had bought - for about 3 shots!!!
it took ut a few minutes to get the stock off and get rid of the offending lever and spring!
Davide[/quote]

No you really did,t try you just showed people you can,t walk and chew gum at the same time .

#67 ·
KEYBEAR said:
I tried a release trigger on an SKB trap gun that I had bought - for about 3 shots!!!
Davide
No you really did,t try you just showed people you can,t walk and chew gum at the same time .[/quote]

It's remarks like that that keep people coming back to this forum, for sure.
Davide

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.