Shotgun Forum banner

ACTIVE SHOTSHELLS !

10K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  troutbum1 
#1 ·
By far the worst barrel fouling I've ever seen ! Was given a box of 20 ga. 1 oz. loads as a payback for loaning a brand name box of field loads. Decided to target shoot the Active to burn them up. One shot in each barrel was enough to make me stop. The barrels were loaded with what appeared to be unburned powder.Decided to clean the barrels and the fouling actually plugged up the first half inch of my brush.What to do with the rest of the box? Or is this normal for Active shotshells?

#2 ·
They haven't made ACTIV shells for decades. I shot them years ago and never had a problem. They are probably old and weren't stored proberly. Chuck'em.

Reactions: troutbum1
#3 ·
It's got nothing to do with storage. 20 ga 1 oz loads are a fairly heavy load in the 20 ga and as such have a pretty slow powder used in them. Slow burn rate bulky powder tends to leave a bit more ash or as some folks think, unburned powder in the barrel. What's the big deal? Next shot will push the "crap" from the last shot out the barrel ahead of it anyway. It won't make any difference whether you shoot 1 shell or 100 when you get all done cleaning it will take the same amount of cleaning to polish your barrel clean enough to use for an IV.

Shoot them and find someone who wants to load heavy 20 ga hunting loads and gift them the hulls, they will be greatfull to you for ever. They are very desirable for heavy loads since they have a cavernous hull capacity allowing for heavy charges of bulky powder and heavy shot charges in a 2-3/4" hull. I've still got several boxes of Activ 20 ga Red Hornets myself. Some day I'll just shoot them and do as I suggested, give them someone who wants them.

BP

#5 ·
I had never seen an Activ shell until my Brother-In-Law gave me a bunch of reloading supplies a few months ago. In the crate of hulls was 50+(haven't counted them) once fired 20 ga Activ hulls. I'd never seen an all plastic shotshell before. I still have them, mostly for the novelty of it. I may reload them eventually, if i ever get into reloading 20 ga.

#7 ·
Burnt Powder said:
Shoot them and find someone who wants to load heavy 20 ga hunting loads and gift them the hulls, they will be greatfull to you for ever. They are very desirable for heavy loads since they have a cavernous hull capacity allowing for heavy charges of bulky powder and heavy shot charges in a 2-3/4" hull. I've still got several boxes of Activ 20 ga Red Hornets myself. Some day I'll just shoot them and do as I suggested, give them someone who wants them.

BP
What he said. I'll gladly take the hulls if you want to get rid of them. I still have some 20ga Activ's that I use for 1oz #5 hunting loads.

About half a year ago or so I was speaking with Dave from BPI about Activ shells. We were both lamenting the fact that they are gone. Dave told me at that time that Fiocchi was looking at making an all-plastic Activ style hull.

#8 ·
Have hunted duck 4 days this week shooting factory loaded Activ 3" number 3 steel shot. Some of mine have rusty primers but they all shoot just fine. Good shells as far as I am concerned, and I wish they still made them.

#10 ·
I have some 12ga 2 3/4 magnum slugs...
I've shot one it seem like a rather nice round and hit where I was aiming but i figured I would keep the rest... Don't know why...
I have some hulls that are label GENTEC on the side I don't know what they are.
also one that says TE.

#12 ·
When steel recipes came out they said Activ's could cause bloopers and they were correct. A problem I did not have loading other cases, but I think it may have been the ability to crimp them. They are as good a hull as any for other uses. There were those that tested autoloaders that used Actives in the tests for jamming. I believe they would use an Active as a follow up? I just do not remember. The principle made a lot of sense as hulls can rust at the base if not stored properly or if they get wet.

DP

#14 ·
If you are not currently a Reloader and very experienced. You probably shouldn't fool with those hulls. The recipes to load them are scarce and about 90% of the loads that you will find will use components that are no longer available. Also they are probably pink because they are sun bleached and deteriorating from the sunlight. I believe they started out red.
You would be better of finding some pink Federal hulls as components are more available just not right now.

#15 ·
I have several thousands of the hulls bagged up. Some was pink some orange and some red. I use them to load for crow hunting. I have 3 or 4 of the active loading data booklets. Still have some active wads. Back when they was available i bought a bunch of wads. I remember using a type of clay buster wad too. Back when i was younger. I shot sporting clay. The range was a active dealer. No one saved there hulls. I got alot of them for free because they trashed them.

#16 ·
We just returned from Argentina after our group fired nearly 8000 ACTIV EXTRA CAZA y Competition rounds at doves. The outfitters trashed them all, which seemed like a waster of hulls, assuming that reloaded as well as the manufacturer claims right on the box. Next issue, s can we get spent hulls out of Argentina in checked luggage back to the USA? Anyone ever succeeded at this?

#18 ·
Put them in your bag and see. Your luggage might get an extra close look and they may confiscate them (doubt it).

I will say, if the dog indicates on your bag, it'll come down the shoot in a bin and likely wide open. Had that happen to me coming out of Chile due to a baggy of GORP. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.