Shotgun Forum banner

Stevens 16 ga. 311

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  870-LEFTY 
#1 ·
What would a Stevens 311 16 ga. with 28" barrels in 85-90% cond. be worth? Seller is not sure of chokes. I figure prob. Mod.& Full, as that is how most 28" barrels were choked.

#2 ·
If all original, and case colored receiver and really in 90% condition, then 1960 and up would be $275-$350 at most
Before 1960 maybe $400.
I just bought a very nice one for $450.
It is on the 5100 receiver from the late 40's.
Case coloring is awesome, and hard to find in that condition.

#4 ·
I found a similar gun to the 311A, a Springfield in much better cond. It also has 28" barrels choked Mod. & Full with much better bluing and case coloring and much nicer wood. Got it for $400 including shipping! :D The Stevens 311A had I.C. & Mod. chokes but did not have checkering on the forearm or stock like the Springfield does. I plan on using it for S.D. pheasants over flushers so I figure I will probably be better off with the Mod. & Full chokes anyways. Besides, I have a Citori 16 ga. with interchangeable chokes if they are getting up closer and I ALWAYS take 2 guns when I go to S.D. This now completes my 16 ga. battery, O/U, SxS, and Ithaca 37 pump choked Mod. Life is good!

#5 ·
BarkeyVA said:
Jim,
What if it is a 16 ga. JC Higgins 101.7 (311a) 28" barrels, M/F, made in 1957? It is in 90+% condition with excellent case color.
A Higgins will cost about the same as a Stevens labeled gun because everyone knows it is a Stevens and I believe all the Higgins had walnut stocks not birch.

#6 ·
The one I just bought was a Sears labeled one.
For me there is no difference, only that most people will pay less so it ends up in my safe.
I like checkered stocks, walnut, and cc receivers. The blackened receivers don't look right to me.
I would agree with patriot, but prices differ in other locations.

#7 ·
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =273644665

This is the one I just bought, but if I had just walked into the store, I would have offered $400.
Likely it would have been accepted. Since I bid on gunbroker I was stuck with the price.
In person I could have pointed out all the flaws and easily walked away.
There are minor rust spos on the left barrel and both beads are slightly broken off.
I may send it out for choke tubes, I don't know yet, but if I do the beads will get replaced then.

I know the price was on the high side because it was on gunbroker a while before I bought it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.