Shotgun Forum banner

3 Inch Shotshell length measurement question:

11K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ravenone 
#1 ·
I just bought a Winchester Model 12 Duck Gun in 3 inch magnum. I finally located a box of Federal Premium 3 inch Magnum Shotshells and they measure exactly 2 1/2 inches. I then measured a 2 3/4 inch shotshell and it measures 2 1/2 inches. Where is the 3 Inches in the 3 inch magnum and why does it measure the same length as a 2 3/4 inch shotshell?

#11 ·
A "2 3/4 inch shot shell" will be less than 2 3/4" when crimped. Depending on the crimp style and length, it should be approx. 2 1/4 to 2 3/8". They do differ, depending on length. And incidentally, they are NOT NECESSARILY a full 2 3/4" long after firing, they can be that length or a little shorter.

The same rule applies for a "3 inch shot shell", but just add a 1/4" to the dimensions.

Remember, though, that all these dimensions are designed to be fired in that length of gun chamber. As uncrimped, that is the MAXIMUM length that is specified, and in practice, they are that length or shorter. It does vary by manufacturer, and there is lot-to-lot variation, as well.

Again, though, it's the measurement of the GUN CHAMBER LENGTH that is most important. It dictates the maximum (uncrimped) case length that the firearm is designed to shoot. They can safely fire that maximum length, or shorter, shells in the gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.