Shotgun Forum banner

Zoli Z Gun

6K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  lsclmmr 
#1 ·
Interested in any views and opinions on the Zoli Z Sporter. Looks like good value for a perazzi clone. :)

#2 ·
I did buy my Z gun after looking hard at a Perazzi.
I was concerned with loose ribs on a P gun. Many will tell you they have had no issues. However, one well known shooter happened to be in our area when I was making the choice and he told me he had several ribs shoot loose on his high volume P gun. While I am not a "top shooter" I am a high volume ( 30 to 45K a year).
Z Gun ribs are silver soldered not soft soldered.
When I mounted and shot both guns it is pretty clear the Z gun handles very much like a Perazzi, and has a great lock up.

I have now shot my Z gun for over a year and nearly 40K rounds. the Top lever has not moved and wear seems to be a non-issue.
For reference I have owned and shot Beretta 682s(3)
several B rizzinis, a DT10 and K80. I have had the opertunity to shoot several friends Perazzis, and that was what had me looking at P guns when I bought the Z GUN.

I couldn't be happier with my Z Gun.
The only issue I have evey had with my Z Gun is the small screw under the fore arm iron came loose. It caused "cocking issues" until I found and retightened (and Lock tighted-blue lock tight). It has never been a problem again.
The barrels and swing dynamic of Z Guns (for me) is more balance than any of the Berettas I've owned.

Good luck with your choice.

P.S.
I should also add, I have added Muller chokes (not for the "pattern" advantage, as the Muller seem to pattern about the same as Briley and Zoli chokes).
I tried the Muller for the weight savings, and with the Mullers, the barrel dynamc is much like a FIXED choke P gun!!

#3 ·
I have a 32" Zoli Kronos which is the entry level gun of the Z gun family.
I am quite pleased with the handling, balance, and soft feeling recoil of the gun. In fact it does feel very similar to a Kemen or Perazzi in its dynamics.
The Z gun ads more bells and whistles over the Kronos like extended chokes, a balance system, or the latest, an adjustable add on rib and comb.
I like a flat rib and feel that the gun balance is correct without the need of a balance system, so you can adjust the price to your own needs by purchasing the model that fulfuls your wants.
The upscale models come with extended chokes but I always planned to purchase good after market chokes, so that was not a factor for me.
Some of the early Z guns with the BHB balance system have new mechanical triggers which on occasion would double when using 1 1/8oz loads but I beleive that the factory has addressed that issue.
All in all a very good value for a durable good feeling gun at about half the price of a Kemen or Perazzi. Before I decided I also tested a Blaser F3 but went with the Zoli because of softer feeling recoil and a more attractive price.

CT

#4 ·
Thanks guys for the input. Currently shoot a summit impact.
Had it about 2 years now and still tempted to make adjustments!
My next gun will have no adjustment other than maybe an adjustable comb.
Hence my interest in the zoli. All the adjustment potential of the CG just get to me too much!
Other than that it's a great gun

So what is the difference other than price between a z gun and a Kronos?

Thanks again

#6 ·
Kronos Z Gun

standard grade wood upgraded wood
inertia trigger plated mechanical trigger
flush chokes extended chokes

Z Gun Bilanx
( BHB balance system)

same as above plus
a front and rear balance
system

Z Gun Bilanx - VCS

same as above plus
2 ribs and 2 combs
(standard & high)

CT

#7 ·
Not a Perazzi clone, quite, though it does use a similar lockup. The stationary lug design is different. I believe it was designed by an engineer who retired from Perazzi.

All told, my impressions of the gun have been very positive. I don't own one, though.

#10 ·
You have a perfectly good gun now. If you want a Perazzi , get one.....you'll never be happy w/ a clone. :?

#11 ·
I've had trigger issues, doubling, and very light trigger pull resulting in firing before intended. It's been back to Coles twice since I've had it, approx. 10,000 rounds thru it. The hammer and sear were replaced last time back as it was worn according to the gunsmith at Coles. Also my trigger was changed to a inertia trigger from a mechanical trigger due to the doubling issues there having with the mechanical triggers. I really like the gun, Coles service has been good with a 2 week turnaround on repairs. I've only been shooting sporting clays 3 years and have struggled learning the game for sure. Having this gun 2 years and 10,000 rounds shot I really hate to give up on it as I have a lot of time and money invested in it and hate to learn a new gun,fitting,etc. If I have anymore trigger Issues though I think I will move on.

#12 ·
I've had a similar experience. Hung in there with the repair process and am satisfied with the result.

I appreciate the balance. handling and low recoil of this gun.

I'm a Zoli fan and am glad I purchased one.

Les

#13 ·
davezander and Isdlmmr,

A Zoli is on my consideration list for an O/U retirement gift to myself in the spring. I can probably spring for a used Perazzi but a new or used Zoli is less expensive and at my skill level, I'm not sure I'd ever notice the difference between the two although I'm going to go with whichever brand (among several) fits and handes best for me.

My question about your Zoli experiences is this:

You both mentioned trigger problems and doubleing with regards to mechanical and inertia systems and that the factory made some changes addressing these issues. Does it matter when a used Zoli was manufactured as far as getting one in which the factory has corrected the bugs? Any date I should look for to be sure I'm getting one that doesn't have the inherent problems and was manufactured post corrections...kind of like changes made after certain year automobile models when problems are detected? Also, did the manufacturer compensate your switch from mechanical to inertia since there was problems, or did you have to absorb the cost and the change of your own volition? Was there a "recall"? I believe Blaser went through a similar issue with their trigger selection system and made the corrections at no cost to the consumer.

I'd also be interested if anybody could comment on whether or not the extra cost and upgrade of the titanium coating on the trigger components is a worthwhile and beneficial option. I probably will only be using it for 10,000 or less rounds per year.

Thanks

#15 ·
Purchased my gun new in sept 2010. It came with the mechanical trigger.
This is from Steve Lamboy who is the north American Rep:

"The original inertia system was very durable and we had few problems. We went to the mechanical trigger as we wish to bring out a .410 and made a few guns but began to experience too many doubling issues which could not be fixed. These issues did not occur in all guns. Brad Kidd and Ashleigh Hafley have no issues and compete at the highest level. However, the ones that did occur could not be easily resolved. This pissed off a few people when they had multiple trips into service so we gave up this ordeal and went back to the inertia system. All guns arriving for service with the doubling issue are restored to inertia with great success."
The Zoli has a 3 year warrantee and Steve has authorized my repairs at no charge. Coles In Maine does the work for Zoli. I have had to pay the shipping to Coles and they have shipped back at there expense. At 10,000 rounds one of my hammer/ sear was worn enough to replace. The Titanium coating looks cool if you take the trigger group out so you can see it but not sure its a big benefit as its had to be replaced once. If your going to buy used i'd want to shoot the gun as much as possible first before buying if it was me. I like everything about the gun except the trigger issues i've had. If the Titanium coating is such a great Idea you would think other high end mfg's would be doing it. As I see it it prevents rust/corrosion which is a good thing but if its in place of not having to use good steel with proper hardness and a less expensive alternative i'd prefer the latter. What you want is a good consistent crisp trigger and that is what is lacking in my gun. Pretty frustrating when you are competing and your gun discharges before you intend it too causing a lost target. SInce the last repair i've only had one incident of this and i've put another 1000 rounds thru it. Time will tell for me. In my experience gun fit and a good reliable consistent trigger are 2 of the most essential things you need to shoot your best . I don't care who's name is on the Gun, your milage may vary.

#16 ·
davezander,

Thank you for the very informative and helpful reply. I will heed your advice if a Zoli turns out to be the gun on my list that feels the best in my hands. I am going to try to buy used but in excellent mechanical condition if possible, regardless of brand. I can go new if I have to up to a Zoli, but if I want a Perazzi it will have to be used considering my budget. K-80's are a bit heavy for my style (low gun and swing through) but a used K-80 or Model 32 might work as well.

I'm going to take my time and make every effort to get it right, but I'm ready to pull the trigger (pun intended!) when the right gun is in my hands. In the meantime, I've got a Model 12 and Super X-1 to use during the search. Actually, I'm going to have the SX-1 fitted while I'm waiting to get my retirement bonus to use for the new to me O/U and the cost difference between the fitting and the O/U will buy a lot of targets and shells and maybe even some lessons while I'm looking for just the right O/U. I do eventually want a stack barrel though. Don't like to chase hulls and the two choke option and reliability are quite nice. I've owned several O/U's through the years and do prefer them to autoloaders. I have an O/U now, but t's a niche gun that I don't use much and I shoot my other guns much better.

My ever-changing and not so short list (as of today):

Prevail
Perennia
Zoli
Perazzi
K-80/32
Kolar
Blaser

Thanks again and enjoy your Zoli!

#17 ·
Hey Grouse Gunner:
I live in ne ohio also so if you want to shoot my Zoli let me know. I shoot at Hill and Dale and live 6 miles from there. To be perfectly honest I own a Beretta 391 and can shoot it as good as the Zoli although I slightly prefer the Zoli over the Beretta as long as the trigger is working properly.
The 391 is a hell of a gun. But I like to reload from an economic standpoint as well as a performance standpoint. Believe it or not I actually like my 1oz reloads and have more confidence in them than the cheaper factory shells. Hence using the 391 is a pain in the but to recover the hulls. I've owned 2 Krieghoff KS5 specials, there guns and service is top notch in my opinion. I've heard the K80's are heavy /cumbersome. I would like to try a K80 out, a good # of better shooters shoot them. Next gun if I decide to change will most likely be used. The K80's have very good resale value, not so for Zoli. More reason to get a used one if Zoli. K80 triggers are very complex from what i've heard but shooters that like the K80 usually have high praise for the triggers. I have seen there triggers mess up/double also. Any thing mechanical can and will fail eventually. The great thing about the K gun is Ottsville Pa isn't that far away and I have had excellent luck having a old KS5 gone thru and tuned up in a 4 hour wait. U can't beat it.

#18 ·
I have an inertia trigger and they break right at 4 lbs. nice and crisp. Over travel is adjustable! Dave if you are having issues perhaps you might wish to check the over travel adjustment.
I will add I've been shooting my Zoli for just over a year (35k targets). I love the triggers and I've owned a K80. And yes it doubled several times(the K80).
They are the most complicated trigger I have ever seen. And even K80's have trigger issues. Several years ago, the guys ALL sent their guns in for service within on month of each other. It turned out Krieghoff had a bad trigger selector wire. ( It's a small wire like piano wire that controls the barrel selection when switching barrels). Well that "bad" metal wire failed on over ten local guns within one week of each other! When the selector wire breaks you have a single shot!
All guns can and do have "issues" some are shooter induced and some are design problems. But dynamics are also very important and I would never go back to a K80. I will say, I saw my K80being used by another guy and it doubled on him, too. (it was supposedly fixed several times!)
My Zoli triggers are as good and consistant as ANY gun I've owned.
Also the Ti finish is not for "hardness" but corrsion resistence! And any bare metal triggers can rust!

The biggest advantage I see with a Zoli is solid ribs and my top lever is still in the same position after many thousands of rounds!
They (Zoli) are great guns!

I will add, I also had one of the first DT10s that had "issues", doubling and fast wear. Beretta seems to have fixed the DT10 after those first few BAD ones, so I know how a bad trigger can turn you against a gun!
It appears Zoli has gone back to inertia triggers and that may be a good thing!

#19 ·
Thanks for the offer davez...I appreciate it very much. I would love to be able to get a test drive before buying. I'll get you a pm with my contact info. I'm only three miles from Urbandale and am a regular there, twice a week most weeks. Several of our regular skeeters shoot at Hill-N-Dale and I have a friend whose has invited me, but our schedules never have meshed thus far. Nearly all of my shooting is on the skeet field now. I was into clays for a year or two about fifteen to twenty yeras ago but went back to informal skeet and league skeet.

I shot a tournament at Hill-N-Dale once and as I recall, may have also shot a fun round or two a couple of other times. Wasn't it open to the public at one time or was that just during the shoots? You guys have a skeet field there I believe, right? I'd be better able to evaluate a gun shooting my regular game as opposed to clays, which I virtually never shoot anymore. Clays are fun though! I'd be glad to show you around Urbandale too if ever you are out this way, perhaps if you find yourself touring the beautiful countryside, wineries and covered bridges in Lake and Ashtabula counties. Wine only after the shooting of course! Urbandale has a small walk through course but it's not on the level (nor is it intended to be) of Hill-N-Dale. Very nice place though and the people who run it are great folks, as good as it gets. Same goes for the clientle, just like at most clubs. They have trap and an outdoor pistol range too. All open to the public.

unplugged...thanks for the tip on the over travel adjustment. I seem to recall some old posts here that said that adjustment had to be kept right and when it was, troubles were few or non-existent and the pulls were good. I'll research that further.

#20 ·
unplugged:
Glad you like your Zoli. No doubt they seem to be a really we'll made, close tolerance gun. That is one of the reasons I like it and bought it.
Unfortunately there are issues with my trigger and i'm not the lone ranger on this.
Guns been back to Coles, they have a good reputation. If there are adjustments to be made to the trigger I would have to believe they would have made them. I really don't want to start adjusting things myself not knowing for sure what i'm adjusting. Since the conversion back to the inertia trigger I've had one incident of a light let off. Could of possibly been me but I don't believe so. I'm going to keep shooting it. I was told the trigger pull is supposed to be 3.5pounds on the bottom barrel and 3 pounds on the top barrel. I have a digital gage and there real close to that. Zoli thinks I didn't open the gun all the way and thats what could possibly be causing the problem.

#21 ·
Grouse Hunter:
Hill and Dale is private. Open to Public for registered shoots. Members can take a guest though so no problem. There is a combination Skeet/trap range there, a five stand, and a woods and a field course. the Field course closes in the fall for hunting, I think october 1st. I shot a registered trap shoot at Urbandale years ago. real windy ,targets all over the place. I hear it changed hands a few times since then.
My gun has 32" barrels , don't know if thats what you were looking to get.
Glad to help, PM me

#22 ·
Grouse Hunter:

You asked a couple of questions re: my repair experience. Sorry for the late response.

I am not aware of any "recall".

I have no knowledge of serial numbers of affected guns and therefore can't comment on if any certain year was affected. I received my gun in fall 2011.

The Zoli rep reported a small percentage of mechanical triggers have exhibited an issue and in my situation, they responded in excellent fashion.

I paid for the original shipping to Coles...other than that, no cost involved.

Being without a gun for about two weeks (round trip each repair) is inconvenient but a two week turnaround for repairs is excellent.

When I was looking at the same type of guns you mentioned are in the running...I picked the Zoli based upon low felt recoil and a lively feel.

Good luck with your decision.

Les

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.