Shotgun Forum banner

Looking for a cheap 20 gauge

18K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  SuperXOne 
#1 ·
Im looking for a cheap used 20 gauge shotgun. Im not overly picky on brand as long as the gun will hold up. I intend on using this gun for small game hunting with the occasional round of trap. I prefer semi auto but wouldnt say no to a pump. Cheap for me is a pump under 200 and a semi auto under 300. I'm not at all adverse to used guns btw! Can anyone give me some suggestions on where to look?
Thanks!

#4 ·
If you bump your price up about $100 dollars you can get a Mossberg.
Haven't had mine long but I have a 20 GA Field gun.
So far shot around 200 rounds, going to shoot a few more tomorrow.
Not a problem yet.
From the reading I did before buying it, seems like it's a great gun for the price, and really don't have problems. (granted everything has problems, but seems like they are few and far between from what I found.)
Mavrick is also made by Mossberg in Mexico or something like that but is lesser quality. I would stick to the Mossberg in this case.
Mine full price with 6% tax new, smooth bore and rifled barrel was $310 or $315.

Other then that if you can find used I think a Remmington would probably be your next best bet.
Either one used should be relatively cheap.

#6 ·
Buy now price for the above gun is $220 plus $30 shipping plus FFL transfer of probably $25-$30, it is closer to $300 for a used Mossberg. I would consider 12 gauge instead, and shop Walmart and the local pawn shops for a new Maverick (Mossberg) or a used older Wingmaster, older 870 Express or Mossberg 500. 20 gauge guns seem to require a premium. Shoot light loads with the 12 gauge. Mark

#7 ·
I only ask mentioned such a low price because I saw a new 12 gauge 870 at the local pawn shop last year for $220. I almost got it right then but i wanted a 20 gauge. There's no need to be rude, i just didnt realize that was an extraordinarily low price since i just started really getting into guns this summer.

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the world of shotguns. You might find a few used pump shotguns for around $225 or $250. The quality might not be as good as you would like, but they can be found. I feel any auto at that price would be just about used up. Good luck on your search and check back often and learn a lot about the world of shotgun shooting.

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the world of shotguns. You might find a few used pump shotguns for around $225 or $250. The quality might not be as good as you would like, but they can be found. I feel any auto at that price would be just about used up. Good luck on your search and check back often and learn a lot about the world of shotgun shooting.

Thank you! I didnt have much hope for a semi auto honestly. But I got my new 12 gauge Beretta 3901 for 500 so i thought it might be worth a shot to ask if a used semi auto could be less.

#10 ·
I have a mossberg pump I paid $85 dollars in a gun shop for. It is used but not beat up or anything. It works fine and means lights out for any grouse that stands in it's way. It's a model 505c 20 gauge. It's youth sized but so am I.

Moral of the story......there are deals out there if you're patient.

Good luck in your search.

#15 ·
As others have mentioned, your best bet is a used, quality pump.

I'd bump up my budget a bit and look for a used, but great shape:

Browning BPS
Ithaca M37
Remington Wingmaster

I see nice models of teh above fairly frequently from $300 - $450 with some of the $450 models looking (or being) "like new".

I've seen a couple of scremaing good deals on used BPS Stalkers and Hunters around $350which includes modern choke tubes and steel capable barrel. In my opinion, a used BPS is the best gun going for the money.

#16 ·
+1. I see bps on the used rack around here in the $350 range. Their quality is second to none IMO, and I really like their handling. Ithaca model 37 20 gauges are my favorite and if I can find them in the $250 range I'll buy all I can afford to pick up! Used 870 wingmasters here are way over priced in my area IMO. A good clean used fixed choke one starts at $300 in 12 gauge, more for 20's.

#18 ·
Get a Remington 870 it will be more then $300. Remember the gun is cheap the ammo is not.
If you shoot a flat of shells at $50 X 12 months = $600 a year.

Now if you shoot like some of us that shoot a flat a week that $2600 a year or more . So now you can see why people will spend $2000 + on a gun with out thinking about it.

Get a good gun and don't look back.

I pick up a nice used Browning 20ga O/U at my club. The guy need money and I got it for $400. I know it more then you want to spend but that type of gun would last you a life time.

( Yes I know you may have a budget we understand that. )

#19 ·
I just went through this same process for my son. We were able to find a very clean used Mossberg 300C in excellent condition for 180.00 at a local pawn shop but it wasn't easy.

There were at least 25 12GA for every 20GA in the stores.

One of our local gun shops offered a new Maverick in black synthetic pump for 239 and if we hadn't found the Mossberg I would have gone that route.

#20 ·
Welcome and good luck! You can get it one way or another, it will just take a little leg work, some compromise, and maybe a little more $$. I might add that settling on 20 ga may make this a little more difficult to find. As someone already mentioned, consider a 12 ga and adjust loads to meet the needs of what you are doing. i.e. Light target loads, heavier hunting loads etc.

If you want a semi, try looking for used Rem 1100's. I have found quite a few older fixed choke, but in good condition ones under $400 in used racks. The last one I picked up about a year ago at a Gander Mtn. was $300 (plus tax etc...). It was an 80's gun, 12 ga 2 3/4 only in good condition (no rust, dings, very light stock wear and just some light bluing wear on the edges of the receiver...), with a fixed full choke. Didn't want the full choke, but the gun was in such good condition and at an attractive price, I couldn't pass. It shoots...and shoots...and shoots...

Again, good luck and have fun shopping!

#21 ·
I started shooting 47 years ago with a single shot Baikal 12ga, it was only hunting, best days of my life. After that I was dreaming of a SXS shotgun, I got one from my first pay-check at the age of 17, spanish , double triggers, 30" barrels 12ga F/M, needed two persons to open it after shooting it :) , man it was fun , I was so happy to shoot a double ....Best times...

#24 ·
Just my 2 cents. I was also looking for a decent 20 Gauge, that would not break the bank. Here is what i looked into: Mossberg International Sa-20. After careful research and alot of waiting this is what i purchased. Here are my pros: retail the gun sells for $ 400. If you wait for the sales at Gander Mountain this is what you will get it for $ 270. Thats right i waited for the fathers day sale and took gander mountains last 26". A brand new semi auto for $ 270. This site has many great write ups about this gun. It is made in turkey by a company called Armsan. Sold to mossberg under the name sa-20. From what my research tells me , i believe it is an old beretta design sold to armsan. It is also equivalent to wetherby's Sa-08 in 20 gauge. With the only difference being one action bar versus two on the wetherby. Stocks match perfectly. Forends need some wood work but will fit with some tooling. Reffer to " i love my mossberg" on this site".
I purchased the youth stock with 12.5 " lop for my wife in sythetic so it fit me or her. I have also purchased the heavy piston when i shoot 3" shells from wetherby. It all fits perfectly. Trulock makes extended chokes for it. I drilled and tapped the cap and original stock for sling mounts. Now dont forget its not a beretta or Benelli so its a little rough on the action. Here is what i did to it : polished the sear on the trigger by stoning it and also polished the action with lapping compound of varying grit, until it was smooth as silk. Breaks clays great, good field gun for bird or rabbit, light to carry, points well. My only Cons: Mossberg barely knows they sell the gun and dont have any parts what so ever. Its a little tricky to break down, not hard just tricky. Sucks to unload the gun. Meaning the instructions with the gun do not unload it. It unloads like a remington. Each round must go to battery before it can be extracted. Not a big deal. 800 rounds so far, and zero hiccups. Hope this helps..Dr.D

#25 ·
I have a Mossberg Maverick 20 ga. pump that has fired 3 shells that can be bought for $185.00 + shipping. An as-new gun. PM me if you are serious. I am a FFL holder and do not believe that a perfectly functional as-new gun has to be expensive. I do believe many people are greedy. I am trying to put a shotgun in the hands of as many people that can legally have them as possible. My way of defending and protecting the Second Amendment. {hs#

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.