CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500 forend rattle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a M500A shotgun that has a lot of rattle in the forearm. I’ve heard that new M500's have a spring added to the forearm that minimizes rattle and looseness. Can I purchase and install this new spring on a gun that is several years old. This gun is serial number L160706. How can I tell when it was made?

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 500 forend rattle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you take your gun apart and inspect the forearm from the muzzle end (front), you should see two slots on either side of a metal ring that lines the forearm stock. That metal ring is acctually a bolt/screw of sorts and had threads on it. Take a large screwdriver or other tool that will fit well and tighten it down. Had to do the same thing on mine and it stopped the rattle.

Andy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:03 pm 
Limited Edition

yes ,I would try to tighten the forearm retaining screw some first.Take the barrel off(and when you take the barrel off be sure you have the bolt cock have way back in the chamber-If you have it closed you risk ripping the ejector out of it) make sure your gun is unloaded and the safety is on.For safety purposes.Now lookat the front of the fore arm ,see the round ring turn it clock wise to tighten.It takes a special spanner wrench tool.But you cand o it with something that will reach in those slots on top of the ring.I use a falt choke tube wrench,and lay across the ring to reach both slots at once.Keep in mind that the mossy's almost always have some fair amount of play after they are broke in.That is the way mossy's are built ,rumor has it that it was on purpose ,so in tactical times like war ,they were not as prone to get jam and such,parts that fit tighter would jam easier with dirt and such ,so with some play the small amounts of dirt and water would not affect the mossy's. as far as your serial number dates .post it in the I.D. and value section of the forums and i am sure that SGW experts there will help you

Post subject: Mosssberg response to forend rattle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:19 am 
Utility Grade

I asked Mossberg about the forend rattle and all they did was email me a form letter that said send them the shotgun - no mention of my problem or suggestions like you folks offered, no parts list, no info on the manufactured date. If that is the best they can do, I don’t think much of their customer service. It’s a shame that the folks at the CMP can’t buy out Mossberg and show them how customer service is supposed to work.

I have tightened the retaining ring on the forearm to compress the nylon split washer, but the after end and action bars are very wobbly. I heard that new M500s had a fix for this, but can’t get info on it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:05 am 

GerryRA,

A rattling forearm is normal as far as I know for any Mossy 500 or variant. My son has the Maverick 88, it is a little over a year old, it has been loose fitting since day one, but we don't see it as a problem, since actually the forearm screw is tight, just the nature of them. I have an older Revelation 310 (Mossberg 500) and the forearm on it is also loose fitting, but functions fine and is not a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:53 pm 
Limited Edition

well as far as customer service at mossberg.Oh my, I got outstanding service!!!They were super nice .I had some differ issues ,some were with the gun ,and some were not even gun related.They helped me 120%!!!!! The reason they always say send your gun to them is because certain parts they are not allowed to send you without a ffl license ,also is because of liability.If they TELL you how to fix something or to do something and then you get blown up or your gun later blows up on you or whatever the case might be,Then you can hold them liable---so they just tell you to send the gun in where a tech. can look it over and correct your problem.I rate their customer service A++++++++++++++

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

there is a very simple fix for this problem, get a new gun if the rattle bothers you. I grew up shooting a 500 from the time I was 12 until about 8-10 months ago (12 years). I think it was a FINE gun, but most will talk trash about it over and over. I watched on as other guns had problems, as mine had none. being a clubmsy kid I dropped it numerous times, sometimes into water, dirt, whatever. never had a problem cycling or firing. I got that gun used from my uncle and it was always rattly, it's just the nature of the beast.

-Scott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:58 pm 
Field Grade

The problem isn`t the forearm nut but, the action tube arms. On the 835,the arms are spring loaded(short action tube) and the 500(long action tube) are not. Ratttle comes from the arms,just the nature of the beast on the 500.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:07 pm 
Field Grade

Better yet,if you can get the Hogue overmolded forearm and the forearm nut(it`s about 3 inches long) I`ll send you a short action tube($5.00 and postage) and it should solve your rattle problem.You`ll notice where the springs are located.

Cabela`s has the forearm nut(adapter) and forearm.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

well that's a good thing to know. I'll have to tell my uncle seeing as how I gave the gun back to him. I'll throw in another plug for hogue, great products, and good people (personal friends).

-Scott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Newer Mossberg model 500's and 835's do have a spring that keeps the slide bar's from rotating loosely, and thus greatly reduces the rattling tendency of the whole slide assemby.

It doesn't look like you could easily retrofit this spring into an older slide assembly -- you'd have to take off the slide bars (which seem to be more-or-less permanently pinned in place -- ?) and cut a little notch in each to hold the ends of the spring.

However, you can buy one of these newer slide tube assemblies (with spring already installed) directly from the Mossberg parts department. They come in both short and long versions, to fit the old (long) and newer (short) wooden forends.

I bought one awhile back and swapped out my old with the new -- think it cost ~$30 - $40 or so. Now it doesn't rattle at all when carrying and shifting the gun around. Yay!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:25 am 
Utility Grade

but if you actually push or move around the forend it will still rattle, more from the small loose space between the actually slide tube and magazine tube...