CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pheasant/duck difference
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:25 am 
Limited Edition

first off wise guys,i know the difference between the two {CR8
my question is all the studies done on shot size for ducks (ex.nilo) #2 steel is best,so about #4 lead.but pheasant hunters say #6 or 71/2.(and i've always used that myself)ducks and pheasants are about the same size,and pheasants i would think easier to kill,why are we (and me) not using #4's? :roll: ?

Post subject: Re: pheasant/duck difference
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It takes less energy to penetrate a pheasant. If I remember correctly it is about a minimum of 4 ftpounds for a duck and more like 2 for a Pheasant. In the old days before steel lots of people ran a 71/2 for their first shot on ducks especially when jump shooting.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Pheasants are typically shot closer to the hunter than ducks which accounts for much of the difference. The Nilo Farm studies were done on ducks at 40 yards which was considered typical for ducks. On the other hand, a 40 yard shot at a pheasant is considered a pretty long one by most standards and, when those are the norm, the use of #4 lead shot is preferred.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

It's been a long time since I shot a duck, but they seemed to have "harder" feathers than pheasants...that made it more difficult to get good penetration.

hunter20ga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:44 am 
Limited Edition

I use #5 lead for pheasant and #5 tungsten matrix or #4 Hevishot for ducks. When in nontoxic pheasant zones I load the first two shells Hevishot#6, the third #4. I shoot a Benelli M2 20ga for both game since its shells are less expensive than stoking my SBE. I detest steel. Mostly I count on #4 for longer range shots but its pellet count necessitates a M-F choke. The #6 is excellent for sub 35yard shots where the IC-Mod chokings disperse the shotcloud sooner. That being said (perhaps off topic but useful to you), I find most pheasants are not adequately penetrated with #6/7.5 beyond the skin - a wounding shot is more likely to result than a kill unless headshot pellets brain it. The story is even worse for ducks. A wounded pheasant runs or buries but a good dog can find it. The duck is likely to dive and hold on to bottom grass and die down there. It is a rare retriever that can find and fetch one of these.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:15 am 
Diamond Grade

I like the same shells for ducks and pheasants. Ducks are tougher birds. But usually ducks will give you an incoming or a crossing shot. But with pheasants you are just as likely to get a straight going away shot. The shot needs to penetrate the body to reach a vital organ. Pheasants will also usually give you plenty of long range shots if you shoot at wild flushing birds.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:16 pm 
Field Grade

I like #4 for phesants, but I also like them dead (no dog) so I can find them. I have never shot steel at a phesant, but I bet if you did you wouldn't kill as many birds.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:44 pm 
Limited Edition

you can kill a farm raised pheasant with 8 shot. but depending on where you live. Tru Wild Pheasants are pretty tough to bring down. I would not use 7.5 on the pheasants I go after. I prefer 5 but usually use 6 shot. Sometimes 4.

Shot size, Choke, Distance, dog?

I want my pheasant dead. I hate to down one and have it run off on me. My dogs not that good. :)