Shotgun Forum banner

INSERTS IN SHOTGUN BARRELS

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  EDELWEISS 
#1 ·
Who makes or would make rifled inserts for a shotgun. I dont have any ideas set in stone yet, so Im more than willing to consider any suggestions.

My idea is for a full length rifled barrel insert for a side by side. Once I find a gunsmith that will take on the project, I'll worry about regulation and all the other issues that I havent even thought of yet. In my ignorance, it seems a pretty simple concept. Tangfolio is making them for the Bakial coach guns; but Id prefer something in the 24" to 26" length. Ive heard MCA is only making them up to 18 inches, and his dont have any extraction, (except for a rod pushed from the muzzle).

I was thinking about a rifled 28 gauge insert for a 20 gauge gun. Ultimately, Id like it to have a 3" chamber for loading slugs in brass cases. The tangfolio inserts slip in from the breach end and are secured by a fitting that screws down at the muzzle, they supply two different muzzle pieces for regulation.

Im not fixated on 28 gauge. Id certainly entertain 20 gauge in a 16 or even 16 in a 12 gauge. Mostly I think the insert needs to have some method for extraction, (even if its just a small cut for a finger nail), and be fuul length. Rifle cartridges would be fine; but I figured shotgun shells would keep the pressures down and permit large size slugs.

Any ideas about gunsmiths or barrel makers?

See less See more
#3 ·
SShooterZ, I had some 28ga slugs that had paper cases back in the 60's. I think that they were Winchester Super-X but I'm not sure. I tried them in my Holland 28 bore Paradox SxS. They did not work very well. The gun is bored for 4 inch 28ga and designed to shoot round lead ball. It is a great pig shooter. The 4 inch shells came with the gun and are all brass. It is effectively a 28 bore double rifle.

#6 ·
28 gauge tubes in a 20 gauge barrel are very thin! I have a set made by Skeetmaster in a 20 gauge Red Label....make them still thinner by cutting rifling and use them with maximum dram equivalent loads (slugs) and you've got a recipe for disaster. You'd better do the math on those 16 gauge rifled inserts in a 12 gauge bore as well.

#7 ·
Thanks Guys for all the info. I agree with most of what you're saying. Mike as far as the 28 ga tubes being thin in a 20 ga and thiner still with rifiling, your caution is enlightening.

Again I speak only from ignorance; but if the gun is safe for 20ga loads and now has a thicker barrel, although admittedly not much, and Im using reduced loads for the smaller round, where is the danger.

Frankly, my original thought was to have RMC make me reduced capacity loads anyway, and for the sake of my lazyness use "a couple" Pyrodex type pellets. That may not make it suitable for the BIG 5 in Africa; but Im thinking it should stop anything in the Whitetail size.

Please tell me what my dreaming has clouded. The 20 ga gun is not set in stone. Im more than willing to consider a 16 or 12. In fact I had even proposed a 20/.557 insert in a 16 gauge gun on another forum; but the thought of forming that obsolete case is a bit more than Im ready for at this momment.

#9 ·
Edelweiss, I didn't quite understand your reference to Pyrodex. If you were thinking about using pyrodex in order to keep the pressure low, that's not necessary. It is possible to load smokless-powder shells that are just as low in pressure as black powder. Polywad makes a line of shells called "Vintager" for use in old guns (including damascus) that are very low pressure and use smokless powder. They don't make them in 28 ga and don't make slugs, but it can be done.

Chambermates doesn't make any 28 ***** reducers for 20 ga barrels, because there isn't enough room for them.

#10 ·
The web address is mcace.com. Im not at the limit of my computer knowledge just typing this, and theres not 13 year old around to help, so Im not able to make it a link, sorry.

Alos thanks for the info on the lower pressure shells. I had heard some ramblings to lower pressure shells; but not the actual name. Thanks again.

I was thinking BP or Pyrodex for the low pressure; but also the effect of the smoke. Believe me my days of toting a Brown Bess to the field are long past; but part of me thinks a double rifle ought to put out some smoke??? Besides if I were to use the pyrodex pellets, it would be hard to beat the ease of dropping 2 or 3 pellets into the case and a minie on top.

If I cant find inserts I'll have to check other options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.