Shotgun Forum banner

Remington Model 11 vs. Browning A5 parts?

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Dustman47 
#1 ·
I'm wondering just how similar these two are.
Will the stocks interchange between the older A5' and 11's?
Anything else even close?

I started looking at the Model 11's today and thought that might be a 'down the road' project for the 'ROOM BROOM'!
If the opportunity presented itself, it might be fun.
Gotta do the homework... :)

#8 ·
The best answer here is that some do and some don't and some maybe. Is fairly general and safe to say that FN A-5 parts will not interchange with Remington Model 11. But, from 1940 to 1948, while Belgium was under Nazi occupation, production of the Browning A-5 was transferred to the Remington plant in the US. For those years Remington made both the Browning A-5 and the Remington 11 in the same plant. The Remington made Browning A-5s have all Browning marking and look little different but do vary. It is doubtful any or many 11 parts will interchange with the Remington made A-5s. I can say this much for sure about the stocks. The forend stocks will general interchange without issue but are gauge specific. Some Model 11 stocks will interchange with Remington made A-5s but most don't. I know this because I have fitted them. Remington 11s generally came in three types: 1, 2 and 3 but none of these specific types fit a Remington A-5 exactly. The type three will fit the tangs fine but is both too wide and high at the receiver. If one is fitting an unfinished Type 3 stock then that fix is pretty easy to take care of. I have one original Model 11 stock that was an exact fit for a Remington made A-5. From my personal experience with fits and no fits between the A-5 and 11 stock is that if you get really luck with the production period you may find an 11 stock that will fit a Rem. A-5. Otherwise plan on some fitting. As to mechanical parts I would be will to bet most FN made, A-5 metric parts will not interchange with Remington made A-5 parts but cannot affirm that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.