Shotgun Forum banner

Winchester Model 1912 20 Gauge

7K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Buck2018 
#1 ·
My father-in-law recently gave me a Winchester Model 1912 20 gauge. It's in good condition and as I was disassembling and cleaning the gun, I noticed the serial number on the front lower curved portion of the receiver. The number is 225, which seems relatively low, considering the large number of Model 12 shotguns produced. The number is centered and clearly defined. Did Winchester stamp a corresponding number on the barrel and, if so, where?

Any help would be appreciated!

#2 ·
the other serial number should be on the barrel assembliies receiver extension...and it should line up with the numbers on the receiver when the gun is assembled...if the gun is worn you might need to look closely as they usualy were not stamped as deeply as on the receiver and with years of carry wear can become very faint...

#5 ·
I'm really intrigued by the low serial number so I have started some research into my Model 12. My wife and I recently cleaned out the family home, and, as I was going through some boxes, I found two boxes of 20-gauge paper shells (a few Remington Kleanbores and some Federals). I am assuming these were the last shells fired in the Model 12, because it was stuck in the same corner of the house for as long as I can remember and I don't believe it's been fired for at least 40 years.

I haven't touched the finish or altered anything on the Model 12. I ran a brush through the barrel, cleaned the bolt and the inside of the receiver, reassembled and the action is as smooth as silk. Some of the nicest machine work I've ever seen! I also have a Model 06 and a Model 74 (22 short only), which are in great condition.

Given the low serial number, should I have the Model 12 appraised for insurance purposes? I'd love to shoot it, but I won't, simply because I don't want to take a chance with modern ammunition.

#9 ·
Good morning Broken Spring: Well first year guns usually command a premium over 2nd year and beyond guns. Lets face it there are only about 5000 of them period. Down side , that's before the solid rib, checkered stocks etc. Being a low 3 digit S/N I would add 20% right off the top. Still being a 2 1/2 inch chamber is good since many early Md 1912/12s were opened up.

Since the serial number on the receiver extention is very faint, and not being able to see the gun, it could be faint from carrying, or possibly being reblued sometime during it's 94 year life. If it was reblued, that will hurt.

Also when the gun left the factory it came with what's known as the "Perch Belly" butt stock. Small pistol grip, long wrist, or possibly an English straight grip. If the butt stock has been replaced, deduct $100.

Now value is subjective. There are Md 1912/12 lovers out there who would really like a first year gun! They are the ones who will pay the price. If your gun is in average condition for a 94 year old field gun with no rusat or pits, in original condition, (not reblued) conservatively $700-$800 today. I would have to see some good pictures to tell you much more. For insurance purposes $1000, simply because if it's ever lost or stolen, your time to find another 3 digit Md 1912 wil take time, and time is money! Most home owners policys will cover "sporting goods" which firearms fall under up to $2499 for an individual gun. Over $2500. they will require a letter of appraisal! The basic coverage is usually $5000 for sporting goods, this can usually be increased to $10,000. for a small fee. If the total value of your guns exceeds $10,000 along with your other sporting goods, you may want to consider a "ryder policy". This is a separate policy not subject to your deductible and can have jewelery, guns, coins, etc listed on it. Generally about $2.00 for every $100s of coverage. (IE: $100 would provide $5000 in coverage).

Regards Dave

Regards Dave

#10 ·
Dave,

Thanks for your help. The insurance information is helpful. The gun is entirely original down to the old hard rubber butt plate. The serial number on the receiver is very legible. However, the matching number on the barrel extension is faint, but legible.

I really appreciate all of the information I've received in the forum. The old Model 12 is a nice addition to my collection and I'll keep it clean and ready to shoot.

Incidentally, the Broken Spring moniker comes from years ago when I was trying to find and replace the action spring on my old Remington Model 11 (pre internet days). It really makes me appreciate the value of such good forums.

Best regards,
John (Broken Spring)

#12 ·
When I seen it I was shocked at the condition of this shotgun considering its 110 years old I didn't mind throwing down 700$ for a shotgun like this that can also slamfire if needed it's not pitted rusted or anything theirs a few tiny nicks in the wooden pump peice and stock but other then that it looks like it just sat in a closet most it's life

#15 ·
I was trying but my phone was being weird to the point I couldn't upload to fb even I'll try when I get home in 5 and I was looking at the stock and noticed the screws had been removed more then once letting me know the stock has been drilled and sure enough I tale the top screw out slide the hard rubber down and two drill holes for extra shells :( the only damage done to it but I know alot of people did this to fire arms back then to store extra ammo

#19 · (Edited)
I was trying but my phone was being weird to the point I couldn't upload to fb even I'll try when I get home in 5 and I was looking at the stock and noticed the screws had been removed more then once letting me know the stock has been drilled and sure enough I tale the top screw out slide the hard rubber down and two drill holes for extra shells :( the only damage done to it but I know alot of people did this to fire arms back then to store extra ammo
I agree with Swampy that the holes under the butt plate were likely put there by the factory to balance the shotgun. That’s not to say they were not further modified, or used to store ammo. Winchesters intention was to use the same butt stock geometry(except receiver face) for 12/16 gauge Models to follow shortly,. The balance point of the different barreled/action weights was assisted by this means.