Shotgun Forum banner

Spanish Double Barrel

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  benjamin 
#1 ·
My wife has a double barrel shotgun that I can not identify. It was her late husbands so we do not know its history. On the barrel flats it has the normal proof marks plus the following:
m*1
1440 Gmos
NF75061 also on action
the forend has SZ75061
on the top of the barrel it has "Made In Spain"

the safety automaticly engages when the barrel release is moved.

It appears to be hand engraved with flowers. It also has a push button forend release mounted on the front tip of the forend.

Someone installed a Pachmayr recoil pad so I have no idea if the same was once on there.

Anyone know the answer on this one? Your help sure would be appreciated.

Thanks, Don Riead[/u]

#6 ·
I suppose it could be Armas Garbi. For the owner's sake, I hope it is....but I doubt it. Armas Garbi has always made very high-quality guns which were sold under their own name, and I believe that if it were a Garbi the name would be engraved on it prominantly.

Garbi does have (or did have) a model called AG. Wieland (in "Spanish Best") illustrates a Garbi Model AG, and the name Armas Garbi is clearly engraved on the sideplate.

The list of Spanish makers marks (which Roger provided a link to above) says the mark of Armas Garbi is "G. A. Garbi" rather than AG. But the mark could have changed at some time since 1967.

Tha tis certainly an interesting possiblility, and one that should be investigated further.

Driead, a picture would be worth a thousand words. A half-dozen pictures would be even better. Include pictures of the flats on the bottom of the barrels and the flat surface of the receiver where the barrels rest when closed.

#7 ·
Yes, the Armas Garbi shot has a bit of wishful thinking...
The spanish gun trade in the 60's was doing a bit of everything it had demand for, and the gun described here could be from any of the gunmakers from Eibar.
A photo would be nice. I'm not sure it will help, but I would like to see the gun!!

You can contact the Basque Gun Museum they should have a good idea who made your gun Tel.: +34943 708 446 • Fax:+34 943 708 436
P.S get someone who speaks spanish to call or fax

Best

#11 ·
Well, just my humble opinion, and not to "knock" the gun, but from the relatively simple engraving and the appearance of some of the metalwork, it does NOT appear to be a "best" gun from a top maker.

Also, the loading lever seems to be right of center, so the lock-up appears to be safe enough for use.

There were a LOT of Spanish doubles made back then, primarily by small family makers in small shops and the quality varied tremendously.

If it were ME and I was worried about insuring the gun, I'd simply insure a "Spanish SXS" for $500 to $1000 bucks, depending on its condition. (Hint - I'd probably go with the lower end of that range based on what I can see from the pictures.)

BobK

#12 ·
Yep, that's why I ruled out Armas Garbi.

Not that there is anything wrong with the gun, it is just not a "best" gun. It seems to be just as BobK described it - one of many inexpensive Spanish doubles that were made in the 1950's thru 1970's by many small shops, a lot of which only stayed in business a short time. We may never figure out who made it, and there is nothing unusual about that.

#14 ·
I bought your gun's sister, who had taken the hard path of life, for 240 dollars in a pawn shop a couple of years ago, and was just delighted, tickled to death to make her mine :lol: I had to re-cut the checkering and refinish the stock with Tru Oil and use about five different brands of cold blue before, in due time, she came to resemble the conditon your gun is right this minute. Your gun is in pretty nice shape for what it is. I wouldn't sell my little Spanish 20 for a dime less than 500 bucks. If she was in a pawn shop or gun shop I'd have to pay 400 to 500 for a nice Spanish gun like yours. My opinion anyway.

#17 ·
Hello,

I just saw a double gun just like the pictures you posted. It has stamped on the barrel "Dickson and Son..... Falcom....Magnum". It also stamped "Made in Spain". Can anyone tell if this is truely a Dicson gun? I don't know if Dickson ever made in Spain.
Thanks.

Benjamin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.