Shotgun Forum banner

Remington Sportsman 12 Magnum (870)

22K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  erik meade 
#1 ·
I bought a Remington Sportsman 12 Magnum Shotgun in 1985 or 1986,,about 1990 or so I had an Older Guy come up and ask me IF I wanted to sell the Gun,,I told him no,,because the Gun was so reliable,,he then proceeded to tell me that Remington DIDN'T make to many of these Guns because they were running them for a Little bit and then out of the Blue,,they shut the Production of these Shotguns down,,and then came out with the Express Line of Shotguns,,does ANYONE know how many of these guns were made ? and I saw one on Gunbroker about 9 months ago,going for about $375,,I KNOW mine isn't worth that much because I put a Damn Sling Stud in the Butt Stock of the Gun,,so I would like to know an average price of these guns and How many were made,if at all possible
Thank you VERY much
Ohiyesa

#2 ·
13 Views and no one has any info on this Gun ??? does anyone know where I can go to get some more information about this Shotgun ??? ANY help would be greatly appreciated
Thank You
Ohiyesa

#5 ·
Natty
Thank you for trying,,This is a Sportsman 12 Magnum,,it is the Gun that Remington was making right after the Wingmaster,,I was told that Remington STOPPED the Production in Mid-Stream and switched to the Production of the Express Model.
I had someone else on another site,,and I can NOT remember what site it was,,but the guy was a Remington Freak and Historian,and he said the Sportsman 12 Magnum was a VERY SHORT production Gun,,I was just hoping someone here would have a Little Production Info or a General Idea of what the Gun MIGHT be bringing in ? Maybe someone out there will know more
Thank You VERY much !
Ohiyesa

#7 ·
A5mag12
I am glad you posted this,,now I WILL sell this Gun for the $350 I was offered :D and the Point I was asking is that there is a Bajillion Express Guns out there in the Shotgun world,but there ISN'T many of the Sportsman 12 Magnums,,doesn't "Low Numbers" have something to do with Collectors ? so like I said I was offered more than $200 for it,so I think I will sell it
Thank You
Ohiyesa

#9 ·
ncturkey
What is the Price on the 870 Express SuperMag with the 23" Barrell IF you don't mind saying ? and if you DO mind saying,,then that's OK also
Do you shop much at the Pawn Shops ? we have 1 about 15-20 miles away,and I have thought about stopping in to see what they have,,but I am kind of Leery about the Guns in the Pawn Shops,,I mean you get the " Sold as is" Mantra and I would HATE to buy a Gun from the Pawn Shop,get it home,,and load it up,pull the trigger and "Click",,and then you find out the Firing Pin is Gone or something WORSE :shock: :shock:
There was a NEW Pawn Shop opened up 2 years ago in the City that is the Closest city to me,,well about 4 weeks ago,I read in the News Paper that the Government or the Police shut them down !!! they gave NO REASON in the News Paper,,but they are STILL Closed :?: :?: :?: dont the Pawn Shops run the Serial Numbers through the Computer when they are buying a Gun to make SURE the Gun is NOT Stolen ??? maybe that is why they were shut down,,for selling Stolen Merchandise ???
Thank You Very Much
Ohiyesa

#10 ·
I have a "Sportsman 12 pump" that has the 3 in. chamber. It is an economy version of the 870. Is that what you have? They also made a "Sportsman 12 auto" at the same time that was an economy version of the 1100, but it has 2 3/4 " chamber.The pump was made ini '84 to '86. Both are in the Blue Book in the 870 and 1100 sections.

#11 ·
Remroc
That is the 1 I have,,I just cleaned the HECK out of my Rem. Sportsman 12 Magnum and retired it,,I bought a New Stoeger Model 2000 and it has taken the place of the Pump,,well unless the Freezing Rain is pouring during Waterfowl Season,then I was told that I want my Pump Gun because supposedly the
Semi-Auto will freeze up and not kick out the expended Shell ?
I might just spray my Stoeger down with Air Kroil,,wipe it clean and the "Ice" Be DAMNED !!! :)
Ohiyesa

#12 ·
The pawn shop I go to has guns that have been checked to see if they are stolen.The police check these places every week or so. The Remington 870 Express Super Mag 23" black was going for $199.00 It was already sold when I got there today. But they had a Remngton 870 Express Super Mag 26" Realtree Hardoods Camo shotgun for $200.00 The gun had been put on the shelf just today. My Dad purchased the gun. This gun had already had sling stud and mag stud installed and the guy gave us a sling with it. The gun was in perfect shape. The gun I thought was a Sporstman 12 turned out to be a Remington Model 58. I forgot to look at the price. I will let know how the 870 shoots. The guy told me to come back if we had any problems with it. I went to school with the guy that manages the pawn shop. So I do not worry about this gun due to how new it was. See Ya,Mike

#14 ·
Is it the PUMP Sportsman 12 Magnum ? I just Moth Balled mine the other day,,I MAY have to break it back out in the "NASTY" weather days for Waterfowl Hunting,,just in case the Stoeger starts to gum up or Lock up due to the BAD WEATHER :?:
I Plan to use Aero Kroil on the Action in the Bad weather,,IF it works,,I will be happy,,if it DOESN'T work,,I will break out the Sportsman 12 Magnum :) the ONLY other gun I have is a Remington 870 in .410,,and I DON'T think the .410 will be very helpful on Geese and Ducks :shock: :D BUT if it came down to the .410,,then I would have to reload some Steel Shot,,because I am not sure that ANY Ammo Company makes Steel Shot Shells in .410 :?:
Bob

#15 ·
It it a Sportsman Magnum 12 pump. I think it is a mod. fixed choke Vent rib. Single silver bead. I think the barrel length is 28". I am going back there today to get a choke tube for the gun I bought the other day. They have a Remington 1100 for $300.00 It is 2 3/4" only. I was thinking of getting this gun for a rainy day auto for doves and smae game. I may get the SP-12 Mag too. It is in good condition. Looks like a wingmaster. Are 870 and the Sportsman 12 part interchangeable. They also have a Remington 870 Express 28" for $200.00 This 870 proabbly could be bargined for. they is some little rist of the receiver. I will check them all out today. See Ya,Mike

#17 ·
remroc
MY Sportsman 12 MAGNUM has the word MAGNUM on the Receiver !!! the side of my Receiver says the Following:
Sportsman 12 Magnum !!! so they DO have Magnum on the side of the Receiver and it is a Pump Shotgun
Ohiyesa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.