CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merkel 200E O/U Shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to this brand (Merkel) of shotgun. I'm looking for information on the 200E O/U 12 ga. shotgun made by Merkel. I have a line on one for less money than I thought Merkel's usually go for. Question is - was the 200E an "entry level" or in someway a "lesser" Merkel???

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Vlad

Post subject: re: Merkel 200E O/U Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

Not a lesser Merkel, If it case colored that means less cost than the engraved guns, the mechanicals are quite the same...

The 200 models are older guns and depending on condition I have seen them sold for 1000 and up. They should lock up like a vault, the wood can be refinished and usually is the Europena straight grain.....

I have picked up recently a 201 in 16ga, 28", double trigger and it maybe the most balanced o/u ever.

Have it checked , if in good condition you may have lended yourself a wonderful gun at a bargain.....

Post subject: re: Merkel 200E O/U Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:13 pm 
Field Grade

The 200E is a game gun--so the only consideration would be how you intend to use it. Probably not ideal for sporting clays, as it's lighter than a clays gun and recoil would probably be an issue.

For hunting, though, a great carry, good balance, and usually great mechanics. I have one in both 20 and 16 ga, and they're super upland bird guns.