CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what is a beretta bl-4?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:51 pm 
Field Grade

i am looking at a beretta bl-4 thats for sale but i dont know much about it. its in great shape and is a 12 ga. the guy is asking $500.00. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: what is a beretta bl-4?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:47 am 
Presentation Grade

The BL series was the predecessor to the 68x series from Beretta and was marketed and imported primarily by Garcia back in the late 60s through the 70s. They are graded through BL 6 (BL5 and BL6 were the fancier grades, with a greater amount of engraving), some having extractors, some ejectors. They were offered in field, skeet, and trap versions and were known to be lightweight (perhaps a little too much so for the most serious target shooters) and very dependable. They have become much more sought after in recent years as a lightweight field gun. They were also available to the European market, and the the S56 and S57 are often seen here in the U.S. and are easily identified by the sling swivels.

A BL4 will have ejectors, a blued receiver with nice engraving, and is a steal at $500 if it is in decent shape. I purchased a two barrel 20 bore practically NIB ( the IC/M barrel was still wrapped in paper and bathed in cosmoline!) last fall for $1000, and that was a very good deal in my book. It purportedly had been used to hunt pheasants on two occasions, and if you saw it, you would believe it! It is now my dedicated chukar gun due to its ease of carrying, tipping my postal scale at a paltry 5 3/4 lbs. I shot plenty of doves and quail with it last season and I can say firsthand that they are a venerable shotgun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:15 am 
Field Grade

will this gun shoot a 3" shell? the ad reads" beretta model bl-4,12 ga., modified and improved cylinders, vent rib, good condition.$500." the seller doesn't seem to know much about it. he doesnt know the length of the barrels or if it will shoot 3" shells. he did say that the blued reciever is about 90% and it shoots great. the pics aren't so good of it ,but it does have alot of engraving on the reciever and the stock looks to be in good shape and it has a gold trigger.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:38 pm 
Crown Grade

I've got a 20 bore and I've got to be honest with you... It's a good thing you didn't post a link to that ad on here, because that gun would be gone before you could get back in touch with the seller. That's a screaming deal on a very high quality Italian over and under. I honestly don't remember if my gun will chamber 3'' shells. I think it will, but I can't swear to it at the moment.

Buy this gun. If you decide not to, post a link because that guy who is selling it, really doesn't know what he's got and someone here will really appreciate that beautiful gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:53 pm 
Field Grade

Well guys, I can't decide if I want to go classic or get something new. Here is the link to the ad. Check out the pics of the gun and any feedback about it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.gunownersclub.com/listings/firearms/shotguns/15415.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:36 pm 
Field Grade

So what do tou guys think about the bl-4? It seems like a pretty clean gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's a good buy. A friend used to have one, they are nice guns and as said a steal at $500.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:51 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the tip!!