CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hevi-shot in fixed full choke
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Friend has Ruger RL 20g, full and full. Curious if hevi-shot (#6) would cause any damage. Not sure what the exact constriction is, but the choke area of these barrels is quite "meaty"
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Hevi-shot in fixed full choke
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Personnelly I wouldn't do it. How does it pattern? With that small a shot size it may not harm the gun but hard shot, like heavy shot, could bulge the barrel being fired through a tight choke which, in a double barrel, could lead to barrel seperation although Rugers are attached at the very end of the muzzel. If the barrels come apart at the muzzel at least he'll know why.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

"If " your RL was intended for steel shot then you can shoot anything-nothing so far harder than steel.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I wouldn't chance it on a gun like that.
I'd get a gun made to shoot that nasty stuff.
Mossy 835/935 comes to mind, overbored waterpipe for a bbl.
couldn't hurt em if ya wanted to, yet they work and pattern awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nothing wrong with the gun. but you are just not supposed to shoot hevi shot out of a full choke, if full is defined for lead. Look at the Brily websight and the choke desiginations for steel and hevi shot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Pumpgun,

Wanting to shoot hevi-shot from a 20 gauge has no gain. A 20's good max range (meaning no large holes in shot pattern) is 35-40 yards. At that range lead will kill the turkey just as dead. There is no reason to even consider it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:48 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Shooting Hevishot in tight chokes degrades the superior patterns that the stuff can deliver,in my experiance.

However, I have never tried to push it through a full choked barrel because the Hevishot Company says clearly not to do it. I am funny that way. I know that I could fire a 3 1/2" 12ga shell in my 2 3/4" chambered gun but I don't do that either because the gunmaker says not to. Just old fashioned,I guess. :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:48 am 
Tournament Grade

A5guy wrote:
Shooting Hevishot in tight chokes degrades the superior patterns that the stuff can deliver,in my experiance.

However, I have never tried to push it through a full choked barrel because the Hevishot Company says clearly not to do it. I am funny that way. I know that I could fire a 3 1/2" 12ga shell in my 2 3/4" chambered gun but I don't do that either because the gunmaker says not to. Just old fashioned,I guess. :roll: :wink:

Actually they recommend a choke tube tighter than standard full on their web-site (.675 for a 12 gauge). A 12 gauge barrel measures on average .729 .Standard full choke is .035 constriction placing it at .694. Remington states that the .675 is the best (for Hevi-shot) after all their testing which is considerably tighter than full. In reference to the original question-if the RL is not intended for steel,then I wouldn't use Hevi-shot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:47 am 
Diamond Grade

You will find that the "fixed" full choke will blow the pattern with HS, and you will get a tighter pattern even with an IC than you will with the full. If you can find a card shoot to go watch you will find that they are doing incredable things with HS, but the chokes they are using are a lil' different than conventional chokes.
It isn't as much the amount of restriction as it is the length of the parall surface in the choke that makes for good tight patterns with HS.

tom

CH SeventhSun Dog Show Barbie (Barbie)
Elite's Sepia Thunder (Blunder)
Raindancers Chasin A dream SH (Meg)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:19 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Pumpgun said that the Ruger is bored F&F. I asumed that it is a fixed choke and not overbored. It has been my experiance that any choke approaching .704 will shoot Hevishot very poorly. I came to this conclusion using fixed choke barrels. Overboring,back boring and forcing cone work may very well effect the outcome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

I wanted to try "one" more time :roll: to get part of this topic across clearly. The following is a quote from Remington's hevi-shot web-site for 12 gauge stating that full choke works good but extra full works best (.675);

"Hevi-Shot will produce the tightest patterns through a choke of approximately 0.675” diameter + .005”. In laboratory testing, a standard full choke (.691”) produced an average pattern density of 88% in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards. The I.C. choke (.718”) produced an average of 70%, considered to be the industry standard pattern density for “full” choke."

For the second and most important part of the topic, if the gun is not made for steel shot I would not use Hevi-shot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:01 pm 
Field Grade

:( :( Earlier this week, I heard of two cases of bulged gun barrels from shooting Hevishot through full-choked shotguns. Sources were salesfolks at Gander Mountain - deemed credible in my book. I'm not shooting Hevishot.

Michigan Dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:53 am 
Diamond Grade

Michigan Dave wrote:
:( :( Earlier this week, I heard of two cases of bulged gun barrels from shooting Hevishot through full-choked shotguns. Sources were salesfolks at Gander Mountain - deemed credible in my book. I'm not shooting Hevishot.

Michigan Dave

That can and has happened, normaly by using to large a shot size at to fast a speed through to tight an old fixed choke. With any hard material shot common sence needs to be used. Just remember that there are huge differences between fixed full chokes in older guns and modern screw in full chokes.

tom

CH SeventhSun Dog Show Barbie (Barbie)
Elite's Sepia Thunder (Blunder)
Raindancers Chasin A dream SH (Meg)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:39 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I have seen erroded barrels,bulged barrels,seperated ribs and barrels when steel and/or heavy shot is pushed through full choked guns. That has been my first hand observation. Do as you wish. I would recommend that you use Bismuth in an older fixed choke gun.

I shoot Hevishot through my Browning A5 with an Invector choke system. I have used that combination for four seasons with great success. There has been about 5500 rounds through that barrel with no ill effects. I use an improved clyinder or a skeet choke tube in the gun.

I am not trying to start an argument. Just give my opinion based on what I have actually seen over the years. I feel that I have some experiance in this area since we buy and shoot Hevishot at our club by the pallet. I personally shoot over 500 rounds of the stuff while hunting each season.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:46 am 
Utility Grade

Some friends of mine developed Hevi-shot. Bear in mind that it is made out of Tungsten. I would be hesitant to run it through
a fixed choke gun like the Ruger because if it does harm the barrel you are basically screwed. If it was a removeable barrel
gun like an Rem 870 then you'd be out a lot less if it does harm the full choke.

The most important factor is the design of the shot wad's cup.
It may or may not keep the tungsten pellets away from your barrel steel. I'd keep the Ruger for use with lead shot for
quail and pheasant and get a beater gun for ducks and geese.